SASS Wire Forum

Forest Service Closes CA Parks

Subdeacon Joe

t2Scpohnisonred
  · 
This includes the Inyo National Forest.
Forest Service Temporarily Closes Southern California National Forests, Adds Prohibitions in Others
VALLEJO, Calif., September 7, 2020 – Most of California remains under the threat of unprecedented and dangerous fire conditions with a combination of extreme heat, significant wind events, dry conditions, and firefighting resources that are stretched to the limit. Due to these conditions, the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region is announcing the following temporary closures and fire restrictions to provide for public safety and reduce the potential for human caused fire starts. They will go into effect at 5:00 pm Pacific Standard Time on Monday, September 7, 2020, and will be re-evaluated daily as conditions change.
1. Closure of the following National Forests: Stanislaus National Forest, Sierra National Forest, Sequoia National Forest, Inyo National Forest, Los Padres National Forest, Angeles National Forest, San Bernardino National Forest, and Cleveland National Forest.
2. Prohibition of the use of any ignition source on all National Forest System lands (campfires, gas stoves, etc.) throughout California.
3. Closure of all developed campgrounds and day-use sites on National Forests in California.
“The wildfire situation throughout California is dangerous and must be taken seriously. Existing fires are displaying extreme fire behavior, new fire starts are likely, weather conditions are worsening, and we simply do not have enough resources to fully fight and contain every fire,” said Randy Moore, Regional Forester for the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Region. “We are bringing every resource to bear nationally and internationally to fight these fires, but until conditions improve, and we are confident that National Forest visitors can recreate safely, the priority is always to protect the public and our firefighters. With these extreme conditions, these temporary actions will help us do both.”
An example of extreme fire behavior is the Creek Fire on the Sierra National Forest which began on Friday Sep. 4th and grew rapidly on Saturday, Sep. 5th. The fire made a 15-mile run in a single day and burned 36,000 acres, prompting evacuations and life saving measures. The California National Guard evacuated at least 200 people from Wagner Mammoth Pool Campground and assessed them for medical needs.
The Forest Service thanks our partners and the public for their cooperation and understanding of this monumental fire threat. It is critical that all Californians and national forest visitors follow these important closures and restrictions for their own safety and the safety of our firefighters.
The Forest Service manages 18 National Forests in the Pacific Southwest Region, which encompasses over 20 million acres across California, and assists forest landowners in California, Hawaii and the U.S. Affiliated Pacific Islands. National forests supply 50 percent of the water in California and form the watershed of most major aqueducts and more than 2,400 reservoirs throughout the state. For more information, visit www.fs.usda.gov/R5.

the fires are as much a result of poor management practices as anything , but up here often it takes a fire to rejuvenate a forest if you want it natural , thats what opens the seeds 

I live within the Coconino Nat’l Forest and frequent the Kiabab along with the Apache Sitgreaves NF here in northern AZ.  We have been under fire restrictions all summer and truthfully our NF’s should be closed.  The level of irresponsible behavior witnessed by me has been unprecedented.  Whether it is camp fires,  driving across meadows , cutting fences, irresponsible shooting, smoking or using the NF as a off road race track I have seen all of this.  The USFS and Sherriff’s  Office lacks the manpower  to effectively deal with the problems.  Most of us are ready for snow.....  I don’t like denying access to public lands but I see how it happens.

I left out harassment of livestock and the shooting of cattle legitimately on the range.

Archived