SASS Wire Forum

An Afternoon At The Range - Mature Adults

Calamity Kris

Uno and I took some AR training at the local range yesterday.  I was delighted to see a number of couples, especially more mature couples, training together.  Some of them brought their children or grandchildren for training as well. 

It was refreshing to see that if things ever get nasty in our little corner of the world, a number of us will be able to hold our own.

2 hours ago, Dubious Don #56333 said:

I've been seeing that for some time where I go. Beginners, people introducing friends, just reg'lar folks and they're not just blasting. They are training with a purpose seems like.

The two couples in the lanes next to us were having a friendly competition on accuracy and speed.  The couple in the far lane were likely in their seventies and the couple closest to us were in their mid to late sixties, easily.  One couple using rifles and one using pistols.  A couple of gents ended up paying for nice dinners for their ladies that evening.  ;)  The group that came after them were two families with their kids.  The lines were out the door so we couldn't buy any more lane time and had to leave.

I have, for a long time, been concerned about folks that rush out and purchase a firearm at the first sign of trouble.

A large number probably take them home, load them and put them in a drawer, under the bed or wherever they think

perps will not find them. Never practice or attempy to learn anything about safety. An accident looking for a time to happen. 

A friend is a firearms trainer. Retired Army, he offers classes on defensive pistol, concealed carry, shotgun and carbine throughout the year. 

Business is booming now as he has has a large influx of brand new gun owners seeking training. Lots of new AR owners taking carbine training. People are taking the bs going on around us seriously.

On 7/25/2020 at 7:20 AM, Calamity Kris said:

I was delighted to see a number of couples, especially more mature couples, training together.

My wife and I like to train together with our pair of Single-Six and Henry Frontier in 22LR.
The heft, look and feel are quite close to our SASS guns.
We practice loading table techniques and the 170 rule.
22LR gets her up to speed, is fun to shoot and very economical.

58 minutes ago, bgavin said:

My wife and I like to train together with our pair of Single-Six and Henry Frontier in 22LR.
The heft, look and feel are quite close to our SASS guns.
We practice loading table techniques and the 170 rule.
22LR gets her up to speed, is fun to shoot and very economical.

I have an S&W 617 6" I use for Cowboy training purposes.  Works quite well for me.  10 shots means I reload a little less often.

We do the traditional 5 + empty, to stay in practice.
Needs to be entirely second nature for us.
We have to practice at a conventional range, so no access to practice sweeps and patterns.

Archived