SASS Wire Forum

I need a clarification

Frontier Lone Rider

I have a question concerning calibers.

I bought a pair of revolvers to have at our range to be used as loaners.  Or, for anyone who comes to watch and would like to shoot a stage.

I bought them off the internet, so no one I actually know.  They had been listed as Uberti 38 Spec.  Once I had them, I noticed the top of the barrel says Stoeger - Accokeek,

MD -  A Uberti - Italy -  It says 38 Colt & S&W Spec.

Are these 38 Special?  I don't want to loan someone a firearm and 38 special Ammo and it be the incorrect ammunition. 

Frontier Lone Rider

That is good to hear.

I was afraid there would be some difference as in 45 Long Colt, 45 ACP, etc.

I rely on the vast amount of knowledge you all are willing to share with us confused few.

I know with Pocket Pistols 38 Smith & Wesson Short or Long are not the same 38 Special.

46 minutes ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

I know with Pocket Pistols 38 Smith & Wesson Short or Long are not the same 38 Special.

That same exact fact also holds true with rifles and standard SAA revolvers!

The 38 Short Colt and 38 Long Colt and the 38 S&W Special are exactly the same outside diameter of case (but slightly different lengths), and safe to interchange in any ".38 Special" gun.  

The "odd ducks" are the .38 S&W and the .38 Colt New Police.   These are larger diameter cases, but shorter than .38 special.  These two interchange safely, simply being different competing company names placed on them.

BTW - your Stoeger imported Uberti that is marked .38 Special is probably in the "early run" of Uberti toggle rifles which had a shorter frame - especially if it is a 1866 (yellowboy) gun.  Most of these will have a trigger safety (like the 73's have), and they won't take short stroke kits that are produced for more modern toggle link Uberti rifles.   But it will be perfectly safe with .38 Special ammo loaded to no more than factory specifications.  If you have a short frame gun, you don't want to load or buy "extra long" .38 special cartridges that won't run up the carrier shaft.

Good luck, GJ

6 hours ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

That is good to hear.

I was afraid there would be some difference as in 45 Long Colt, 45 ACP, etc.

I rely on the vast amount of knowledge you all are willing to share with us confused few.

Really decent of you to do what you're doing to help new shooters.  

It’s kinda like how 44 Remington Magnum (originally made by that company) is usually just called 44 Magnum now-a-days.  Plus 38 Smith and Wesson Special is almost too long a handle.

A lot of company or armory names get dropped from cartridges once several companies are chambering guns and making the ammo for that cartridge.

Colt

Remington

S&W

Winchester

Savage

Springfield

are one's at the top of my memory

Good luck, GJ

Archived