SASS Wire Forum

Lightning SOP?

Dantankerous

I am very unfamiliar with operating the Lightning. I've only done so once, have since forgotten exactly what I did, but of course that piqued my interest in the Lightning ;) so I now have further questions.

At the loading table the protocol would be:

Lightning is loaded with the action open/pump in rearward position. When loaded, close action and lower hammer. (Chamber is still empty at this point.) When ready to shoot rifle it would then be necessary to work the action to chamber a live round and commence blasting away.

Since the action needs to be cycled to chamber the first round (now on the clock) how is this done? Is there a pump release button or does the act of pulling the trigger to drop the hammer at the loading table release the action/pump slide so all that is necessary is to pump the gun to load a round, similar to running a model 12 in WB?

Thanks for any clarity.

Nothing special needs to be done.  Just pump/cycle the action.  The pump locks when the hammer is fully cocked.  

On most Lightning models the action will be locked until the hammer is fully down. Not all Lightning actions lock when closed. The best way to do it at the loading table is to load the gun, close the action and then pull the trigger.  Do not bring the gun up to a shooting position and then pull the trigger as this is considered " DRY FIRING " and is illegal at the loading table.  

Lassiter pretty much says it all. Some question me at the load table as to why I pull the trigger versus lowering the hammer while pulling the trigger and it because for some unknown reason the first cartridge won’t always feed if the hammer is lowered softly. YMMV but this has been my experience.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Lassiter pretty much says it all. Some question me at the load table as to why I pull the trigger versus lowering the hammer while pulling the trigger and it because for some unknown reason the first cartridge won’t always feed if the hammer is lowered softly. YMMV but this has been my experience.

mine does the same thing, the hammer going forward trips the cartridge being released from the mag tube to the carrier.

I have argued with loading table supervisors who try to tell me to close the action before loading.   I tell them, "It doesn't work that way. "  :)  As far as lowering the hammer goes, with my two AWA's and one of my Colts, I just lower the hammer with my thumb.  Once it's down, I can hear what I assume is the cartridge stop go "click" to let me know it's ready to go.  If I don't hear that, I try again, and then it works.  This has only happened once or twice as I recall.   

Shooting the Lightning is fun and addictive.   In my experience, you've got to keep them clean, especially a modern replica in .45 Colt.  .44-40 and .32-20 are much more forgiving.   I started out wanting to have one, just to have one.  Next thing I knew it became my favorite main match rifle, and now I've got 5 of the things.   AWA's in .45 Colt and .44-40 and Colts in .32-20, .44-40 and .22 Long.   I wanna get a Large Frame one, but they are rare and bookoo expensive.

Archived