SASS Wire Forum

A Great Train Wreck of a Shoot that was a lot of fun

The Danvers Deperados put on a great 6 stage shoot today, and I was happy to go and do some bang and clang there.   Especially since, due to some bad luck, I have not been able to get to a shoot there for a couple of years now.  Every time there was a Saturday shoot scheduled, it was either cancelled for various reasons, or I had a personal conflict and could not attend.  Bad luck all around.

But today, I was able to go.   By the way, the temperature was flirting with 90 and it was very humid.  The starting line for each stage was "It sure is hot!"  And it was.

Anyway... 

Stage 1.  I missed the first target.  Well, there goes the clean shoot

Stage 2.  I shot the targets out of order.

Stage 3.  One of my pistols jammed at the loading table and I had to borrow a pistol to shoot the stage.

Stage 4.  Well, this one went okay except for a couple of misses.

Stage 5.  Jacked 2 live ones out of my rifle.

Stage 6.  Round popped back out of the magazine to go under the carrier.  Only way to clear it is to open up the magazine and "pour" out the live cartridges.  Never did find the magazine spring.     So anyway, as you can see, I felt that today, my shoot was an absolute train wreck.   Anyway, the same pard who loaned me a pistol on stage 3 was kind enough to loan my his rifle.   For what it's worth, I own an original Winchester 73 that is unmodified.  That's how I "think" a 73 should feel.  His was a slicked up short stroked Uberti.   Very nice, but very confusing.   But let that go.   When I was getting ready to shoot the stage, I called out, "You know, my shooting has been a train wreck today, but I still had a lot of fun, even though it still is hot" (or something like that.)   At the beep, I shouldered the rifle, and proceeded to sing "The Wabash Cannon Ball" as I shot the stage.  (I don't know all the words to Wreck of the Old 97) I have no clue how many times I missed, but at that point I didn't care anymore; I just wanted to have fun.  

So the moral of the story is, no matter how "bad" your day may go, you can still enjoy yourself.  Especially when you are shooting with a great posse.  Even if it's hot.

I always say if I don’t shoot myself or someone else, GREAT day. The rest of it is just stuff. Glad you got to shoot with what sounds like some good folks 

There's a club around here that will give out the "Trainwreck Award" at their club's annual match. All in good fun and folks do get a kick out of it.

:D

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

There's a club around here that will give out the "Trainwreck Award" at their club's annual match. All in good fun and folks do get a kick out of it.

:D

That's a GREAT idea!!:lol:

Archived