SASS Wire Forum

BEST lever ammo, and why?

MacGyver125

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

If you plan on shooting that 14 incher, have that Stamp ready to be looked at.

:lol:

+1 .... And Pg 34 shooters handbook. Rifle barrel minimum length allowed for SASS is 16"

2 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I contest your premise that ME is what kills game. Blood loss or trauma/shutdown to/of the nervous system is what kills game.  I've never had any different results hunting  deer with a 30-06 than with a 30-30 other than less blood shot meat. True, larger more dangerous game require a caliber producing more momentum to achieve enough penetration to reach vitals, or to shock the nervous system. or enough enough mass to achieve improved penetration to overcome such factors as heavy bones, poor shot angles,  "Texas heart shots." But hey,  none of mine or my dads bows ever produced any speed or ME worth mentioning. Especially the recurves and old E-wheel bows. Recurves, e- wheel bows and 30-30, 30-06s kept us fed in meat growing up. Largely all we ate in meat.  I remember daddy killing 8-10 deer some years. I asked him hsi kill total on deer alone and he said he stopped counting at around 300 when I was roughly 10-12 years old. Nothing fancy or high powered about any of it. At the end of the day, dead is dead. Nothing makes one dead animal any more dead than another. I've been on tracking for deer shot with 30-30s, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 7 mag, 270's etc from poor shot placement. It does seem to me there is an efficiency in shooting heavy for caliber at a moderate velocity for that weight. Same goes for archery.

Just how does bows and arrows fit in to this thread?:rolleyes::lol:

Trauma, is a direct result of muzzle energy. ;)

OLG

On 6/13/2019 at 5:35 PM, MacGyver125 said:

Yep, for this specific rifle, I want a NIB one. I'd be surprised if a used one was available considering it JUST came out two or three months ago. 

This is the rifle I want:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1892/model-1892-current-products/model-1892-large-loop-carbine.html

Although I'd prefer a 16" rifle, it was pointed out to me in this thread that I'd need at least an 18" so it can hold 10 rounds.

And no, I'm only interested in Winchesters for lever action. I saw a Rossi of this for $450, but I'd still rather pay the $1200-1400 for the real thing. I've held several brands, and none of them feel as good or as smooth to me as the Winchesters. 

I don't care about the cost, so I mean whatever makes it more competitive at an SASS match. I haven't been to one yet. Accuracy, re-chambering, etc. Whatever makes a difference when I'm shooting. At the range, only accuracy/precision matters, but in a competition, something else might be just as important, if not moreso. 

For a long time rossi was the only one making 92 clones, but some of the Italian firms do it now.  Chiappa comes to mind, there might be more.  And like someone else said, the loops are replaceable. 

The one you linked is in in .357.  You should be able to order it from pretty much any gun dealer.  What's the other gun you want that's not available in .357? 

What's important in a SASS match is speed.  You can do more to speed up other rifles than you can with a 92. 

8 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Trauma, is a direct result of muzzle energy. ;)

Only if you're shooting the animal at point blank range.  If you're shooting it at 25 yards, then the energy at 25 yards is what's important.  There's no direct correlation between muzzle energy and energy downrange when you are comparing different bullets and calibers.  Some bullets shed energy a lot quicker than others.  That's why he's using those results from laboratory tests and pressure barrels to predict downrange performance.  Most of us can't test that stuff ourselves. 

11 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

If you plan on shooting that 14 incher, have that Stamp ready to be looked at.

:lol:

Unless you can prove it came from the factory that way, prior to 1934.   The BATF decided a few years ago that such guns are no longer subject to the NFA '34 rules for SBR's

8 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Unless you can prove it came from the factory that way, prior to 1934.   The BATF decided a few years ago that such guns are no longer subject to the NFA '34 rules for SBR's

State law can override that. ;)

OLG

6 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Oh, gee, okay.

I guess I coulda spent more time writing a more detailed response...

Oy...

Phantom 

6 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oh, gee, okay.

I guess I coulda spent more time writing a more detailed response...

Oy...

Phantom 

What?   You made a statement that was not complete, so I added more information.  Isn't that the point of a conversation, to provide accurate information?

7 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

State law can override that. ;)

OLG

True.   I remember when the ATF changed the rules. I did a quick check of a handful of states, the two that were the most intriguing to me were my home state of Massachusetts, which is completely silent on SBRs.  Of course, it also requires you to register every gun purchased, and a rifle is specifically defined as having a barrel of 16" or more.  So that begs the question, if you were to obtain Win 92 with a 14" barrel, how do you register it?   The only options are rifle, pistol, shotgun and machine gun.  By local definition, it's not any of those things.  A curious conundrum, I think.  Which is why if I ever do decide to get one, I'll find one that's pre-1898, not just 1934.   No need to register those.  Although you can if you want to.

The other one that intrigued me was Texas, it outlaws SBR's, unless they are registered in accordance with NFA '34.  Well, these guns don't have to be so registered, so where do they stand?

44 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

What?   You made a statement that was not complete, so I added more information.  Isn't that the point of a conversation, to provide accurate information?

If someone takes what is said here on the Wire as gospel regarding NFA rules...then they are fools and deserve everything that comes their way.

So for you to regurgitate any part of a regulation here is not doing anyone a favor.

Simple generalities are often good enough...so...try not to impress...maybe post some cool photos or something:lol:

Phantom

17 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

The other one that intrigued me was Texas, it outlaws SBR's, unless they are registered in accordance with NFA '34.  Well, these guns don't have to be so registered, so where do they stand?

Sounds to me like a gun that doesn't have to be registered is indeed "registered in accordance" with NFA '34.  I remember hearing about that law a while back and the explanation I got was that they were just saying as long as you follow federal law, it's OK with us too. 

Archived