SASS Wire Forum

jags, patches, and other cleaning tools

As I have stated in previous threads, I have been cleaning guns for 50 years, CAS (non-jacket bullets) for 20.  This Forum is often a good place to learn what others do/use in certain areas thus one might weigh in on a possible change in habit.  Since there are so many different size jags, patches & tools, I thought I might just find out others choice for cleaning tools.  We have had plenty of threads of late on solutions and oil so PLEASE, THIS IS NOT ABOUT SOLVENTS & OILS.  After years of reloading perhaps as many as twelve to fifteen center-fire cartridges, I now only shoot 44 mag, 454 Casull, & .17 (yepee, no reloading) non-CAS,  but my attention in this thread is for CAS and for me that is 38s and  12 gauge .  My preference to bore cleaning is a 30 caliber jag with 2 1/2 inch patch and 3" for shotgun (and/or a mop of paper towel).  I often use a wire brush in bore of R/P but do use several patches on jag in cleaning process.  While I like Butch's patches from pistoleer.com, for R/P, they are a little pricey so usually settle for Skyline from Amazon.  I like the KleenBore ChamberMate brush for shotgun on normal cleaning and the ProShot brush between stages along with good swab (both on good strong chamber rod like those from KleenBore).  Sometimes I make use of BoreSnake if time is short, and find them especially good to run thru cylinders.

Jags are offered by so many different companies but I find the more groves, the better....such as those by KleenBore , Allen, and Tipton for my 38 bores (The Allen and  Tipton have a beveled edge on back groove so a plus when pulling jag back thru bore).  The best jag for 12 G I have used was an aluminum jag from KleenBore (JAG-234) but I have had difficulty in finding for 12 G recently.  Again, ChamberMate tappered brush is excellent for shotgun brush cleaning.

Got favorites..do you use small patch and large jag (1.5" with 38/357/9 jag or as I, smaller jag and larger patch (30 jag and 2.5" patch)?

I use bronze bore brushes on everything. (hate how many of those I go through). And swipe out with a patch holder and a couple of patches (usually t-shirt)

Sometimes I put the (shotgun) brush in a drill and let er rip.

I can patch successfully with paper towel in the rifle and pistol, too.   Just don't use too large a piece - if the jag is completely covered with PT, or some extends past the jag, the jag will just punch a hole through the PT.    Much cheaper.

Prefer bronze brush except when I run into real stubborn lead fouling, which is almost never now that I better understand we don't need hard (BN 16) bullets for matches.

Good luck, GJ

I use brass jags in assorted sizes do to the variety of calibers I employ and an aluminum jag for the 12ga on a one piece Tipton rod.  I'm not picky as to brand of jags or patches.

Being a BP guy almost exclusively, I use wet paper towels in the 12ga to push the snake out, a dry paper towel to get the bore dry, then a bore snake before running an oiled rag through it. 

On the R/P's, I use 2 1/2" patches from wherever or cut my own from old tee shirts with the appropriate brass jag.  Once most of the fouling is gone, I use a bronze brush to get into the corners of the grooves then dry patch.  My final pass is with a Thompson Center Cleaning/Seasoning patch to lube/season the bore.  I use a .410 bore mop on the cylinders.

I got tired of paying for patches a long time ago...now I use t-shirts cut up into whatever size squares I desire. I don't measure anything, just sloppy squares from cutting the shirt. (Get the shirts free from friends and family) even the collar and arm seams can be used as pass throughs.
Before I got into sass, I was into old military rifles, so I learned the value of good, non metal, cleaning rods and brass jags. I pay up for carbon fiber rods.
I hate passing brass brushes through..but with shooting lead, its necessary, so I dispose of them frequently. They are cheap compared to barrels. I prefer using lead cloth.

I started using the Remingtom Squeeg-es a few months ago to clean my guns after shooting Black powder. 

Rifle and Pistols

1. Rinse out the barrels with hot water.

2. Pull Squeeg-e through barrel from chamber to muzzle.

3. One Wet patch (Ballistol)

4. Dry patch

The only thing the wet patch picks up is a little bit of material from the rifling that the squeeg-e missed.  Have never needed more than 1 wet and one dry patch to have a spotless bore.

Shotgun

1. Plug barrel with cork and then fill with hot soapy water

2. Let sit while I clean other guns

3. Pour out water

4. Pull Squeeg-e through barrel from chamber to muzzle.

5. One Wet patch (Ballistol)

6. Dry patch

7. Inspect barrels for any melted plastic that did not come out. Use tornado brush to loosten.

8 Wet patch  (Ballistol)

9. Dry patch

If I shoot this weekend I'll post pictures of the patches. The Remington Squeeg-e removes 99.5% of the fowling from the barrel. The Wet patch gets the rest. The dry patch is for verification.

Guest Texas jack Black SASS#9362

I shoot Unique in all my Colts and Winchesters, I call it being as close to BP as you can get without the mess. I use Hoppes #9 cut up shirts, socks etc wipe down spray with WD-40 and keep it simple >This is not rocket science  Shoot, clean and put away been working fine for over 50 years.

I see so many shooters today using the new whiz-bang product or gear  .:FlagAm:

Archived