SASS Wire Forum

Rossi m92 problem

Bugler

At our 2 day shoot this weekend one of our newer shooters was using a Rossi '92 and out of 10 rounds fired at least 4 of them would have the hammer travel forward as he was closing the lever. I know that this has been a problem for others but cannot seem to recall what the diagnosis and proper repair was.

Thanks for helping me help a new shooter!!

Bugler

He's pulling the trigger before the bolt is in battery (lever fully closed).  

Had not even thought of that............Hmmmmm

I will try it myself and see what happens.

Bugler

If it has had an action job it is possible that the bottom of the bolt or the hammer was polished just a little too much and the hammer is not being pushed back far enough to fully engage the sear.

Carefully cock the rifle and make sure the hammer is being pushed back far enough to reliably engage the sear.. If it is not have the top of the hammer built up and reprofiled.

I had a R92 that had this problem. Boomstick Jay welded up the hammer and reprofiled it for me. Only had this issue on one of the six R92's I have owned / done action jobs on.

mine is a different gun but it did the same thing last year,and it was in need of cleaning that was the culprit. gunk had filled the notches on the hammer to the point it might, or might not engage the trigger tip.

Archived