SASS Wire Forum

Vaquero prolem

G W Wade

One of my friends came to my range today, for a little practice.   One of his vaqueros locked up.  Seems the hammer plunger slipped too far out and bent.   Can't see anything else wrong.  Anyone got any ideas besides the plunger slipped past the pin in the hammer.  All help appreciated     GW

The plunger was almost  out of the hammer.  Pin wasn't holding the plunger anymore    GW

10 hours ago, G W Wade said:

One of my friends came to my range today, for a little practice.   One of his vaqueros locked up.  Seems the hammer plunger slipped too far out and bent.   Can't see anything else wrong.  Anyone got any ideas besides the plunger slipped past the pin in the hammer.  All help appreciated     GW

Not sure why Ruger makes the cross pin on short side,  Sometimes pin will get to one side ( wrong side)in hammer and make a burr on plunger then it locks up gun, I've made my own cross pins out of drill bits and made almost full width of hammer and keep extra plungers as this is somewhat a weak link in the gun 

AO

I had a similar issue today. My Ruger New Vaquero won't go to full cock. The hammer will go back about half way, but not enough to cock the gun to shoot it. Is this what G W Wade is talking about? I left mine with a Gunsmith this morning to check out.

Good thing I have a back up gun, a Pietta, so I can go to my match tonight.

5 hours ago, Arcadia Outlaw SASS#71385 said:

Not sure why Ruger makes the cross pin on short side,  Sometimes pin will get to one side ( wrong side)in hammer and make a burr on plunger then it locks up gun, I've made my own cross pins out of drill bits and made almost full width of hammer and keep extra plungers as this is somewhat a weak link in the gun 

AO

On the OEM plunger cross pin. Just add a small dimple from a center punch to each side of the hammer, keep the pin in place. ;)

Make sure your cyl pin is not jumping forward.

OLG

15 hours ago, G W Wade said:

The plunger was almost  out of the hammer.  Pin wasn't holding the plunger anymore    GW

You sure the plunger is broken?

I have seen a broken plunger 2 times over the years.

OLG

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

You sure the plunger is broken?

I have seen a broken plunger 2 times over the years.

OLG

Plunger is bent, pushed out of hole till  gun locked up.  Seems to have slid past the pin.  Pin as intact and in place but some wear.  Just curious if there is something else I should be looking at.     Thanks GW

Round the bottom of the plunger a bit.

Straight'n out the plunger till it slides freely and reinstall.

Call Ruger(have serial # handy)and ask for new plunger, spring and cross pin. This so you have a spare.

OLG

50 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Round the bottom of the plunger a bit.

Straight'n out the plunger till it slides freely and reinstall.

Call Ruger(have serial # handy)and ask for new plunger, spring and cross pin. This so you have a spare.

OLG

Thanks OLG.  Gun broke yesterday and parts are on the way.  He has a spare so won't be needing these one till I get back Monday.    Thanks   GW

Archived