SASS Wire Forum

Linux Vs Windows question

Outrider Outlaw

I don't want to steal another thread so I'll post this question here.

If I switch my personal computer to Linux from Windows 7 will I still be able to run MS programs such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Publisher?

How about the software that runs my wife's embroidery machine?  Will that still work?

TIA

OO

Linux comes with Libri Office.  All the same functionality of MS Office without the price tag plus a couple of extras that ms office charges extra for..

As for your Wife's machine the only way to know would be for someone to research it. It is possible that someone has done it already and posted their success or failure.

Linux uses a program called Wine that emulates a windows OS to allow some microsoft programs to run on it. Mac has a similar software program but I don't remember what it is. Compatibility is not 100% as some programs go out of their way to ensure non-compatibility with wine.

If you post the particulars about the machine someone here may be able to tell you.

You can also make your PC dual boot so that you can either run Linux or Win 7. That is how I have mine configured so that I can run Tax software locally. Means I have to boot into win 7 about 3 times a year.

7 hours ago, Outrider Outlaw said:

How about the software that runs my wife's embroidery machine?  Will that still work?

:(

probably not.

my guess is that the embroidery software has a driver installed in Windows.    If this is a critical requirement -- and my guess is that it is -- then my suggestion is to "freeze" the Win7 machine and move your everyday activities to a new box.

I've had success running Oracle's Virtual Box on regular MINT, as well as on LMDE/2 and Debian 9 systems: I have just a few programs that have to run in Windows: Turbo Tax, my Epson V500 scanner, Canon DPP, and Photoshop/Elements.  The Virtual Box is a bit of fussing around and so for that reason, I'd say it's probably a good idea to start with a standard Linux -- MINT 19 Cinamon is suggesetd here -- and run with that for a while -- for evaluations.

One of the things I'd like to try this summer is to simply purchase a basic W-10 laptop and then try the MINT installer on it.   I want to be sure the MINT installer gets past the UEFI BIOS.   Hopefully W-10 does not lock these in some way that prevents the MINT LIVE stick from booting and then going into the install program.  Recently I've just been ordering parts from NewEgg and putting machines together as I like 'em -- BUT:   many good folks much prefer to use a laptop.

I did a dual-boot on a little 13" ACER laptop for a fellow a while back.   But that was before W-10.    The thing to do is to checkout the work plan on the support board first.

Linux/MINT systems come with a beautiful library of application programs: ALL FREE.   These include Browsers, e/mail, music, games, photography -- and LibreOffice which is a very nice alternative to MSFT/Office.

6 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You can also make your PC dual boot so that you can either run Linux or Win 7. That is how I have mine configured so that I can run Tax software locally. Means I have to boot into win 7 about 3 times a year.

This is the correct answer.

Embroidery software is extremely "fussy". And if you want to her your lady curse A LOT then mess with the software for her machine.

She will have a big rats nest and YOU will be very unhappy.

The other choice, and it is still a very good one. Every town has a place that sells used computers. A used laptop running Windows 7 should cost around $100.00.

34 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

And if you want to her your lady curse A LOT then mess with the software for her machine.

She will have a big rats nest and YOU will be very unhappy.

that's why I suggested freezing the existing W-7 system and starting with Linux on a new box.

Here's the main menu for LibreOffice 6

LibreOffice.jpg.e8d3ae6d35b50c602067c6f6465e9a82.jpg

calc

calc.png.8e5c0543d50c1cb0adb0ad929b970b72.png

You could also check and see if the software for her Embrodery Machine works in Windows 10, as that is an OS you can upgrade to for free.

1 hour ago, Red Eye Jim said:

You could also check and see if the software for her Embrodery Machine works in Windows 10, as that is an OS you can upgrade to for free.

Upgrading to win 10 may or may not be free. Currently you can still get a free upgrade if you know how but that could end at any time; and if your office version is not one of the latest versions you will have to shell out more cash for the latest version. Also the free upgrade requires you to install all software upgrades that ms deems necessary whether you want to or not.

In the other thread this is taking several hours at a minimum and possibly days if you have a slow internet connection.

Upgrading could also be very problematic in that it may not support her machine. If she likes what she is using I wouldn't upgrade to win 10 unless I had no other choice..

Windows 10 put a lot of new requirements on 3rd party software. Some are so onerous that win 10 may not allow older versions of them to run.  I have to deal with that at work and it is the reason that my new system is running CentOS instead of windows. Windows 10 does not support a lot of older hardware and the hardware manufacturers are not releasing new drivers that are win 10 compatible.  In one instance the replacement for an $850 box with hardware that is supported by windows 10 would have cost about 15 thousand dollars in hardware alone plus several thousand more for software modifications to use this new hardware. Multiply this by 9 installs and it turn out that that free upgrade to Windows 10 comes with a 6 figure price tag. 

I use libre office on my windows 7 machine.  Works great.  I don't think I've found anything yet that's incompatible between excel (on the work computer) and libre office.  I tried to use google sheets first, but there are some incompatibilities there. 

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I use libre office on my windows 7 machine.  Works great.  I don't think I've found anything yet that's incompatible between excel (on the work computer) and libre office.  I tried to use google sheets first, but there are some incompatibilities there. 

Only incompatibility I have found is if you build visual basic macros in excell they are not supported by Libre Office.

1. hmmmmmmm ... ... ... I have a wife-type creature too,....... and: she is NOT happy if "How things Work" -- changes on her.   I once changed the A/C plug on her desk-lamp from the non-switched position to the switched position.    I didn't hear the end of that for more than 3 weeks.

2. You could research the sewing software: it may -- or it may not -- have been updated to run in W-10.   Updating it to W-10 would almost certainly involve a New Version and that could get you a harsh penalty under Section (1) (Above).   You might not hear the end of it for quite some time.

3. It is for the reason(s) described in Section (2)(above) that it was my thought the best thing to do is to freeze the existing W-7 machine: take it off the 'Net (If possible) -- or -- failing that -- just stop the automatic updates -- and use it for the sewing program ONLY.

4. This will allow you to develop a general purpose system for use on the 'Net.   I'd build a Desktop unit with parts from NewEgg -- Iv'e done several boxes that way and they all work like a charm ( all are various Linux systems ) .

5. You might be able to get a W-10 laptop and update it with (e.g.) Mint 19.    I would expect it to work -- but -- I've not done one yet.   I have to start by purchasing a $600 laptop that would end up as a give-away.    With a lap-top there is no assurance as to what's in the BIOS.   You have to either shift the BIOS into Legacy mode -- or -- the UEFI BIOS may support the digital signature for the Linux system you want to install.  Or the BIOS might be locked so that you cannot boot from external media -- which would prevent you from booting the Linux/MINT live installer from a flash-stick or DVD.

6. I wish Chromebooks worked better than they do: the one thing that is a Monster "Gotcha" in the Chromebook is print service.   The idea behind the Chromebook is: you would open the box, turn it on, and go: there would be NOTHING TO CONFIGURE; IT JUST WORKS.    Not so with printing: you'll have to register your printer on GoogleDocs -- or install a print driver .   Yuk

7. Apple could be a good alternative although you'll discover a nice AAPL Laptop is bit bit costly :(

Sir, I recommend you get a computer that runs your software, the last office that wasn’t (360) or cloud based, install a new printer, then yank the cord from the internet after its all working. It should type and print letters and run your sewing machine for years to come.

Buy another computer for online stuff.

Folks expect miracles from Linux which is entrenched with King Absul Henriki type catfishers from Umabuntu Kenya.

5 hours ago, Johnny Loco said:

which is entrenched with King Absul Henriki type catfishers from Umabuntu Kenya.

the Ubuntu versions of Linux are from Canonical --- which has relations with M$

the MINT systems are in 2 flavors:   (1) Standard Edition: based on Ubuntu although the new announcemens state that Canonical "telemetry" has been deleted. (2) LMDE versions -- which are based on straight Debian.

according to the MINT announcements the Debian (LMDE) versions may need a little more Linux experience to solve some issues.   I've used both; I did not find anything I though was "difficult" -- in using the LMDE and LMDE/2 systems .   We are expecting LMDE/3 "any day now".

Recently I've been running Straight Debian.   I really don't need to; I'm just one of those clowns that can't keep from diddling around with stuff :unsure:

What I've found in my switch to Linux:   Linux does what I tell it, and gets to it, straight away.     MSFT systems -- well -- let me put it this way: No Thanks.

Apple Boxes -- are expensive -- even without sock-zes.   But: the people who use 'em all seem to love 'em.   I love AAPL's attitude about privacy and security.

I don’t like any of them but I’d run a solo machine for the purpose of the OP and transfer stuff over from a thumb drive or something. Life is too short to be fiddling around for no reason.

A choice to use a unix flavor, android, or google is a personal one, but to jump right in and expect things to work is optimistic at best and for what end goal, to keep a word processor, printer, and sewing machine operating. Things have to be in perspective.

I only use Apple stuff now because I have other things to occupy myself with. They ain’t 

erfect but the pluses outweigh the negatives.

Archived