SASS Wire Forum

SAA: Why not carry 6 with the firing pin between case rims?

Hellgate #3302 L

1 hour ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

We had a member over on the 1858 Remington forum that dropped one of his 58's in the kitchen and it went off and blew a hole through his hand.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

I’m betting his wife was a bit upset.

Husband painfully screams: "My HAND!!!"

Wife painfully screams: "My Countertop!!!"

Yeah, I can relate. Last week I tripped over a mug filled with tea that my wife left on the floor as she was watching TV, and she was more upset at the spill than the fact I nearly did a faceplant into the furniture.

A looong time ago, when I attended my first regional match in Durango (before two pistols were required in SASS matches), I was standing talking to a couple of gents.  I was shooting Colt's in those days.  Only one pistol was required, or at least we didn't pack two in holsters. I had a spare gun tucked into my gun belt on my left side, with the holstered gun on my right.  Both guns were unloaded, and I was imbued with keeping the hammer down on an empty chamber anyway.  I felt the left side gun slipping through the belt.  Before I could grab it, it fell to the ground, rotating as it did so it struck the soft dirt handle first, with the hammer touching the dirt. The gun stuck in the soft dirt...WITH THE MUZZLE POINTING UP AT ME IN SUCH A WAY THAT HAD IT BEEN LOADED WITH A LIVE ROUND UNDER THE HAMMER, I WOULD HAVE BEEN SHOT DEAD AS THE BULLET WOULD HAVE PROBABLY HIT EVERY VITAL ORGAN IN MY BODY! :o  Nope!  I'll NEVER load six, even in my New Vaquro's, and even in an old Flat Top with the transfer bar conversion!

For the couple of matches I've shot that required loading a 6th round on the clock, the easiest for me was-- fire one, open the gate load round in empty chamber ( at least with Rugers, it's right there ), close gate & fire the remaining 5.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:57 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Consider this.  With the hammer down on an empty chamber it is 100% impossible to have an accidental discharge.   With any other method, on a Colt or traditionally designed clone, there is a chance you can have one.  Not worth the risk.  The Colt is not a Remington with a between the chamber safety notch.  It is not a Ruger with a transfer bar.  It is a Colt.  Use it the way it's safe to do so.  You will never regret it.

Besides, if you can't solve your problem with 5 shots, 6 probably won't help you.

That's why you carry a 2nd revolver.  Two is one.  One is none.  It's called a NY reload.

Archived