SASS Wire Forum

What Powder does Remington use?

Does anyone know the brand of POWDER Remington uses in their center fire pistol ammo?

I did some accuracy test this past weekend with my .357 Sig.

AA9 and Power Pistol both work very well.   Consistent in velocities and accuracy using the 125 grain bullets.

BUT, I also tried some Reminton factory 125 gr. Golden Saber and its velocity was darn near as good as my good reloaded ammo.    But the accuracy seemed noticeably better.

Any idea as to their component  brand of powder?

..........Widder

Factory ammunition loaded by the major manufacturers is NOT the same as canister-grade powders sold to handloaders.  The factory blends powders to meet pressure and velocity specifications.  Therefore, you can NOT expect to duplicate performance by using the same weight of powders with the same weight of bullets, though you may actually be able to improve accuracy.  Even if you could equal the velocity of a particular load with the same weight of what you think is a similar powder, without pressure measuring equipment, AND the same dimension barrel, you probably won't match the factory pressure-time curves..

I asked Remington and Hornady what powders they use in their factory ammo. Remington didn't respond and Hornady told me pretty much what Trailrider said except for their rifle Leverevolution cartridges they do use Leverevolution powder.

I have found Remington 9mm and .380 factory ammo to be most accurate in my Remington semi-auto pistols...wonder why? ;)

I pulled one of my Remington factory rounds to compare the powder with AA9,  AA7,  Power Pistol and Longshot.    AND, I checked out the charge weight.

The powder resembles 'something' like AA9 or AA7..... but the amount is noticeably LESS than reloading manual stats.

It could be a slight variation of AA5, but I don't have any AA5 to make a comparison.

I can tell you this much:   it ain't Power Pistol (which is one of my favorite powders) and it ain't LongShot, which is a promising looking powder for the .357 Sig...but I haven't chrono'd anything with it yet.

Thanks for the info above, Pards.

..........Widder

Archived