SASS Wire Forum

SASS in Europe??

Doc Ironbeard

Was wondering if any folks here travel to Europe to partake of SASS type events there. Our daughter lives in Finland with her AWESOME Finnish husband and our two grand-daughters. So usually once or twice a year we venture there to visit. I did discover that there is a group there and have emailed them, but nothing yet.

So what issues would I have traveling with shooting irons to Europe, particularly SASS type.

Thanks, Doc

2 hours ago, Doc Ironbeard said:

So what issues would I have traveling with shooting irons to Europe, particularly SASS type.

Too many to make it worth the effort, IF they even allow it.

You'd have to research Finland's laws in particular and any other countries you might want to visit.  In the end, you'll likely be better off borrowing from members at each event you go to.

In Ukraine, for instance, foreigners are not permitted to own firearms.

Well, I was trying to paste some Pics from Big Iron Patnode's facebook page here... But I aint havin' no luck....

Anywho, last year he went to "Days Of Truth" the annual SASS European Championship in Czechoslovakia 

and has some Great Pics on his facebook page....

But I Have No Clue how you can see em ??????????????

www.facebook.com:.webloc

Hi Doc,

I tried to email you on Monday, but there was some bounce message.  I just re-sent the mail, hope it reaches you this time.

In short, there is some paper work involved if you want to bring your own guns. I guess it is not too large an issue, since I've met US shooters at matches in France/Italy/Czech, who brought their own guns.  US shooters we've had previously shooting with us in Finland have used borrowed guns. Unfortunately, each country in Europe may  be a bit different, but basically with a match invitation you should be able to apply for the import permit. It takes some time of course, so prepare in advance.  If you don't want to go through the paperwork, then borrowed guns is The Option. Match arrangers can help you with ammo too.

The issue with ammo is more that airlines have limits on how much ammo you can take with you, I think 5kg is the limit, so for many matches or a long match like DoT, that is not enough.  Also, some airlines  threat used brass as ammunition, so that may bite you when returning, unless you are aware  and loose your brass at the match (been there... :) )  But anyway, check with the airline you intend to use about their regulations regarding transport of guns and ammo.  Some airlines have weird regulations and costs involved I've noted...

Hope my emailed advise reaches you, and hope to see you over here!

Cold Hand Leo

Finland is a great place to shoot, watch out for the Moose beside the roads!

It's much easier to bring your own leather and borrow guns and ammo from the local cowboys/ladies.  The issue for us has always been what to do with the firearms after and before the shoot if we bring our own guns.  Leaving 'em in a rental car or hotel room is not a good idea anywhere, especially overseas.  Contact the match director or club contact person and I'll bet they'll fix ya up.

Archived