SASS Wire Forum

How does one respond?

17 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Regardless of the discussion, how does one respond when the other person says to you..."If you were a (fill in the blank), or I if you had (fill in the blank) you would see things differently.   In other words, there is no way you can have a valid opinion unless you had experienced or been what they had been. 

Here is the exact situation.  Discussing a sign that said, "When will they love their kids more than their guns?"

A statement was made to me that if I had had kids and grandkids, I might have  been for stricter gun control.

I never have understood this line of debate.  One's opinion about any subject is not valid because they have never been or experienced a specific situation.  I'm sure there are situations were that is a valid comment, but this doesn't to me seem to be one of them.  

What is that form of debate called?  I don't know how to respond to that form of argument when it is thrown out.  

I would respond that if they loved their children, they would not drive their car.  Because cars kill more people than guns.  And if they really loved their children, they would ban cars to stop drunk driving.

3 hours ago, W. D. Pickett said:

I would respond that if they loved their children, they would not drive their car.  Because cars kill more people than guns.  And if they really loved their children, they would ban cars to stop drunk driving.

And never take them to a doctor because medical errors cause over 700% more deaths than guns.

You can't reason a person out of a position they didn't arrive at through reason.  When it becomes apparent that's what I'm dealing with, I just disengage.  If I want to change their minds, I'll show them I'm not the monster they think all gun owners are (slow process), then later remind them that I'm an actual typical gun owner. 

Doing something like that right now with a guy I play games with.  I let him go on his rants, then we started talking about hunting and long range shooting stuff.  He's more level headed than most who say the things he was saying. 

Remind them that more school age children die due to auto accidents in one year than have died in all the school shootings in the last 100 years.  If they are so concerned about doing something to save even one life, then why not lobby to raise the driving age to 21???

Ask them why they are not up in arms and demanding action about this ;)

From the CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/teen_drivers/teendrivers_factsheet.html

Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for U.S. teens. Fortunately, teen motor vehicle crashes are preventable, and proven strategies can improve the safety of young drivers on the road.

How big is the problem?

In 2015, 2,333 teens in the United States ages 16–19 were killed and 221,313 were treated in emergency departments for injuries suffered in motor vehicle crashes in 2014. That means that six teens ages 16–19 died every day from motor vehicle injuries.

In 2013, young people ages 15-19 represented only 7% of the U.S. population. However, they accounted for 11% ($10 billion) of the total costs of motor vehicle injuries.

Archived