SASS Wire Forum

For sale. Action job. (nothing for sale here, really)

Three Foot Johnson

Maybe it's just me, but when I see "action job" in a classifieds or auction description, that's about as far as I need to read and I move on. I've purchased so many guns with "action jobs" that need to be undone, unless it's priced reasonably less than the parts to bring it back to stock, I pass. Yet sellers usually see "action job" as justification to ask a few hundred more. I've had some with trigger pulls that measured single digit ounces - one recent purchase, two revolvers, had one measuring about 9 ounces and the other around 3 ounces. :blink: The latter wouldn't hold full cock with gentle pressure on the hammer or a slight slap on the side. I can't even feel my finger on the trigger on some of these, and the hammer falls. I've had a few "tuned for Federal primers" that wouldn't reliably fire with ANYTHING, let alone just Federals. Many times, I've seen "sights regulated for xxx grain bullets at xx yards". That's pretty meaningless without a specific load/velocity being used. More than once, regulating the sights consisted of bending the front sight blade. :blink: I once bought a Bond barrel with a sight that seemed much too low - don't know how I missed it in the pics, but I did. I emailed the seller and he said, "It shot high, so I filed the sight down". I see a lot of descriptions that say, "Full race action job" or "Full Cowboy action job", and I don't know what that even means, but it sounds good, I guess. A "full action job" will include things like trigger overtravel stops, hammer overtravel stops, and timed to drop the bolt stop into the lead instead of before, and those are things you never, ever see on a gun advertised as such. I bought a shotgun about a dozen years back that had the chamber funneled so severely, there was nothing left for the rims to headspace on, and "click" was more common than "boom". I emailed the seller with a WTH? He said it was "tuned for xxx shotshells", which actually turned out to be kind of true. Seems xxx shotshells had a very slightly larger diameter or thicker rim, and worked most of the time. I ended up selling it, with full disclosure, as a parts gun.

So, what are your horror stories about "action jobs" or "tuned" guns?

When I do an Action Job, it is tuned so as to set of any Brand of primers the a properly seated in the cases...every time ...

My personal guns have 1 3/4 pound trigger pulls that break like glass rods with very little over travel ,,,, but even after the last stage of the day shooting FCD they will Still pop the primers ....

And I had a Shotgun like you described come into my shop , and I sent him and the gun right back out ... I told him it was only suitable for the use of the stock and forend ...

It had in his words had a "Cowboy Action" job done on it ...

Jabez Cowboy

J Bar,

I have 6 firearms that have had action jobs.

3 are 73 rifles with the "action job" and Short Stroke (3rd gen) done by Longhunter.

The other 3 are SxS shotguns with "action jobs" done by Johnny Meadows...2 Baikal's and 1 TTN hammered SxS.

2 of my revolvers have had the headspace corrected so they won't back the primers out if I'm not shooting elephant loads. Maybe some would consider that to be action jobs....I call it making them usable with cowboy loads that make the power factor.

I wouldn't have a problem buying a firearm that has had an "action job " if I knew who did it. If it was a table top job done by a non-smith seller...I'd pass too.

1 hour ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

I wouldn't have a problem buying a firearm that has had an "action job " if I knew who did it. If it was a table top job done by a non-smith seller...I'd pass too.

Exactly my thinking. My 92 has an NKJ action job. After seeing the work that our gunsmith at Gander Mountain did, I let him have a go at my shotgun, and I have been happy with it. I've seen the work Lassiter does, and I would love to send my pistols to him one of these days, money allowing.

I've got a pair of 32 Single Sixes. They've had "action jobs".

They got real light triggers, that's true. You pull the trigger, the hammer falls BANG, and the trigger pushes back against you finger.

I've been shooting for close to 50 years. I have never felt anything like that before.

I've been considering, for a while now, sending them back to Ruger, to be put back stock.

Archived