SASS Wire Forum

WTC - Gunfighter Clarification

Wicker Nash

Gunfighter holsters guns.   He miss counted rounds and has one more in a revolver.  TO and spotters yell one more.  Gunfighter draws revolver and puts last round on correct target. 

If a gunfighter holsters revolvers with the INTENT of engaging another sequence,  it is a P.  Since this is finishing the current sequence is it a P?

What is the correct call?

No procedural

Earn a "P" if you holster revolvers and move to another position to engage a different set of targets.

--Dawg 

Anyone from the rules committee confirm the no call.  I was told by a "black" pin in May of this year that once the gunfighter holstered their guns for any reason it was a P to draw them again if they still held I fired rounds.  I think there is some confusion about this. 

12 hours ago, Wicker Nash said:

Gunfighter holsters guns.   He miss counted rounds and has one more in a revolver.  TO and spotters yell one more.  Gunfighter draws revolver and puts last round on correct target. 

If a gunfighter holsters revolvers with the INTENT of engaging another sequence,  it is a P.  Since this is finishing the current sequence is it a P?

NO

What is the correct call?

NO CALL

21 minutes ago, Wicker Nash said:

Anyone from the rules committee confirm the no call.  I was told by a "black" pin in May of this year that once the gunfighter holstered their guns for any reason it was a P to draw them again if they still held I fired rounds.  I think there is some confusion about this. 

There should be no confusion.

If the entire section is read in the SHB, it states:

A Gunfighter may not holster revolvers with the intent to engage another revolver sequence. Once cocked, all rounds must be expended prior to holstering unless the revolvers were drawn at the wrong time or a revolver/ammunition malfunction has occurred. Inadvertently leaving unfired rounds in a revolver is a miss unless the round is under the hammer, then it is a Stage Disqualification.

SHB p.14

The prohibition regarding holstering "with the intent..." was to preclude a GF-style shooter from holstering after firing 5 shots; moving (or firing another firearm on the stage); then redrawing both revolvers to finish.

A Gunfighter-style shooter IS allowed to redraw an inadvertently holstered revolver to negate the "unfired round" penalty without incurring a procedural.

To forbid doing so in that situation would not be reasonable.

2 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Why is this limited to GF?

I have seen shooters in other categories do this without a penalty.

Because the shooter (and T/O) are dealing with TWO loaded revolvers at the same time.

This was discussed for some time during the process of approving GUNFIGHTER as a shooting style and as a stand-alone category.

The general consensus was that the risk of holstering a cocked revolver if it was allowed precluded doing so.

Hi Wicker,

I am behind in my Wire reading..

I will fess up I am the guilty black pin, the conversation we had I was in the frame of mind regarding gunfighters that they may not holster revolvers with the intent to engage another revolver sequence..  It did not occur to me that in this situation it would be permissible to holster and return presuming the hammers were down on an empty chamber or expended round, and thus safe to leave the shooters hands, and further it would be acceptable to return to complete the unfinished sequence providing the shooter had not committed themselves to the next firearm in the shooting sequence.

The devil is always in the details.

My profound apologies for the confusion.

F.S.

Archived