SASS Wire Forum

More point of impact questions on lever guns

Two gun Ted

The factory front sight on Uberti rifles is ridiculously short in all cases.

Ha!!! I'm not crazy 

Maybe not, but you'd be wrong to believe that Dollar's problem is the same as your problem.  Your 66 front sight needs to be 75 thousandths or so SHORTER that what you have got on the gun, remember?

And I've not had to put on shorter sights on any of the 4 Uberti 73 rifles I have.   Factory sights have worked well, other than I like a bigger bead on the front blade.

GJ

Uberti's are all different. Some rear sights on carbines have the dovetail too close to the receiver to put in a better rear sight that has elevation adjustments. If that is the case get this https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/882/1/RS-PM-1.

If the dove tail is away from the receiver far enough a short marbles will work.

Before you do anything replace the front sight with a pioneer speed sight. http://www.pioneergunworks.com/rifle-parts/

If you have the post style sight on the rear and shoot SASS loads it is too tall. I ran in to the same thing. I have file them down and reshaped them but it's not the best way IMO because you are locked into that load & distance.

If you go to a match you will see most shooters have their elevation on the lowest setting or have taken the adjuster completely out..........my rifle is shooting 1120 FPS and I have it on the lowest setting. What you are seeing is normal.

14 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Uberti's are all different. Some rear sights on carbines have the dovetail too close to the receiver to put in a better rear sight that has elevation adjustments. If that is the case get this https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/882/1/RS-PM-1.

If the dove tail is away from the receiver far enough a short marbles will work.

Before you do anything replace the front sight with a pioneer speed sight. http://www.pioneergunworks.com/rifle-parts/

If you have the post style sight on the rear and shoot SASS loads it is too tall. I ran in to the same thing. I have file them down and reshaped them but it's not the best way IMO because you are locked into that load & distance.

If you go to a match you will see most shooters have their elevation on the lowest setting or have taken the adjuster completely out..........my rifle is shooting 1120 FPS and I have it on the lowest setting. What you are seeing is normal.

My 76 needed a taller sight filed to sight in and my 66 needed some file work on the front sight.  Happy as a clam now! What I was trying to get out of this conversion was are these replicas of the real thing and need adjustments? I think I answered my own question.  I'm getting decent groups now and can hit things.  Before the front sight filing I couldn't hit a pipe pan at 50 yards. I know out of the box these guns are just fine for Sass but I'd like to shoot some deer with these cool old toys and a deer isn't 2x2 at 75 yards. Thanks for the input  

For cowboy shooting as long as I hold the rifle consistently and see the same sight picture I can hit the target. My front sight might be a tad low for precision work but as long as I am consistent I hit the target.  A few weeks ago I shot my 73 in 45 in a monthly for the first time in years. I missed three targets low.  I adjusted my point of aim and did not miss again.  Accuracy is all about consistency.

I have big brass beeds on all of my cowboy rifles.  My old eyes are a pain. 

just my 2 bits but i would not have filed the sight until after you settled on a bullet weight , then i would match the sights to the round and stick with that all the time , just sayin , 

I thinned the front sight width on all of my '66;s which help ME with a consistent sight picture.....the issued front sight seems WAY too thick for MY eyes, also widened the notch of the rear sight....might help you out as well.

Bug;er

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

just my 2 bits but i would not have filed the sight until after you settled on a bullet weight , then i would match the sights to the round and stick with that all the time , just sayin I shot three different bullets and picked a middle ground.  

Archived