SASS Wire Forum

SKB vs. Stoeger--what's the dif?

Ripsaw

If you never try the SKB then it won't matter as the others will do the job 'BUT once you do try then you won't go back...well that's what happened to me !!

I started out with a dbl trigger Baikal but when a fellow posse member talked me into trying his SKB that was it. I never felt like the Baikal fit whereas the SKB seemed to fit perfectly. Regardless it made a big difference for me. Now the wife has started and I cut down the Baikal to fit her and had the triggers reversed because I wasn't sure how long she'd stick with the game and I didn't want to drop another $1500.00 until I was sure. Needless to say it didn't take long before someone let her shoot their SKB 100 and the Warden decided she must have her own...so now she does. To get to the point try a couple out whether it's the 100 or the 200 and see how they feel for YOU. Then buy what you like.

I'm not really one to chase the latest expensive gadget or improvement. I still shoot my Vaqueros without any shortstroke kit and they still have the transfer bars. I don't have a sleeve in my rifle mag tube and there is a 3rd generation shortstoke kit in my 10 year old 73. About 3 years ago my slicked up Stoeger started coming apart. I found an SKB at a local gunshop for a decent price and had Fast Eddie work his magic on it. It turned out to be the best money spent since the rifle action job and short stroke kit. I'm certainly not near the top of the food chain when it comes to speed but it did shave my average stage times from 25 seconds down to around 22 seconds. I guess I was fumbling with that Stoeger more than I thought.

An SKB is expensive but I haven't heard of anyone who regretted the upgrade.

Something that is really important but not mentioned. The Stoeger single select triggers can be problematic. Their two trigger guns are adequate. But, many folks have had problems with the Stoeger single select triggers. They either fail to fire one side or the other or worse, they fire both barrels at the same time.

If you are set on a single trigger SXS get the SKB.

That is the problem I had. Switched to an SKB from Johnny Meadows and never looked back!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your assessments and personal experience. At last week's monthly match, one of the best competitors in our club, Striker, offered to let me use one of his SKBs for the match. Naturally, being much lighter and having a different length of pull, it took some getting used to, but it it was a great example of the "cowboy way" for one of our club members to make such a generous offer. And special thanks also to Major BS Walker, another top shooter, who let me handle one of his SKBs, and provided, along with Striker, much valuable advice and counsel on what to look for in an SKB.

The news is that I now have a Johnny Meadows SKB 200E on it's way to me. It has a splinter forearm, nicely figured stock, and will have a mechanical trigger. Looking forward to upgrading my match equipment with this addition.

Thanks again to all for your advice.

Thanks to all for your assessments and personal experience. At last week's monthly match, one of the best competitors in our club, Striker, offered to let me use one of his SKBs for the match. Naturally, being much lighter and having a different length of pull, it took some getting used to, but it it was a great example of the "cowboy way" for one of our club members to make such a generous offer. And special thanks also to Major BS Walker, another top shooter, who let me handle one of his SKBs, and provided, along with Striker, much valuable advice and counsel on what to look for in an SKB.

The news is that I now have a Johnny Meadows SKB 200E on it's way to me. It has a splinter forearm, nicely figured stock, and will have a mechanical trigger. Looking forward to upgrading my match equipment with this addition.

Thanks again to all for your advice.

In the words of the Guardian of the Grail, "He chose wisely." :D