SASS Wire Forum

Any update on mod's for Henry Big Boy Steel levers?

Doc Ironbeard

I've read through several past posts on Henry Big Boy Steel lever actions and apparently they are not very well thought of for CAS. I picked up one last year in .357/.38 because I really liked the look and feel of it and before I thought about getting into CAS. Haven't shot it that much and never in any sort of competition. I'm a greenhorn in this sport/hobby.....VERY GREEN.

So I was wondering if there has been any updates for modifications and parts availability for the Henry BBS rifles in the last several years to make them more competitive with the established field of rifles out there? I have it so I'll use it the way it is, but it would be nice to tweek it a bit if that helps. After all you have to start somewhere and this is what I have on hand.

THANKS

DD

To the best of my knowledge, the Henry Big Boy is just ..... The Henry Big Boy. What you have is what you will have. There are no performance parts for it. I also don't know of anyone who even bothers working on them. Most seem to work just fine when being run slow and steady. If something breaks, HRA seems to have an excellent customer service.

Coffinmaker

What Coffinmaker said.

Concentrate on a pair of revolvers.

Use to Big Boy for a while.

Get in the game and have fun. If you decide later, then get a 73 or Marlin.

I do know of several old timers that have been shooting the Big Boy for several years.

There is very little. The Wild West Guns Marlin one piece ejector spring drops right in. One big problem is short stroking the rifle. There are lever wraps that both cushion the fingets but to me makeit easier to swing the lever fully.

No gun smith but the mechanism looks real similar to a Marlin 336. I think it might have potential but since not widely regarded none of the smiths are bothering.

You haven't shot it much you say - So shooting it more or just sitting and working the action will both help.

I recently picked one up as a potential back-up to my Marlin '94 for CAS. Now that I've shot it, I don't see myself ever using it in that role.

The Henry's are highly over-sprung, I guess to assure reliability of punching that primer hard and firing every type of ammo. As such, the action (to me, in comparison with my CAS guns, slicked up or not) is just really, really heavy. Mine is still pretty new and the Henry machining is not top-of-the-heap, so the action feels pretty "rough" too. With more shooting the action will feel less rough, but still overly sprung.

Acceptable for the "game" (which is all that many Cowboys and Cowgirls want), not so good for the "sport" (if competition is your thing).

One thing I haven't tried: Henry Repeating Arms seems (from what I have seen and read) to be a customer oriented company. They are well aware of Cowboy Action Shooting, and perhaps would like to see their guns used more for competitive purposes.

You might want to contact them and see if they have a custom shop, or would do some custom work to make the rifle you have more competitive? Never hurts to ask.

I've read through several past posts on Henry Big Boy Steel lever actions and apparently they are not very well thought of for CAS. I picked up one last year in .357/.38 because I really liked the look and feel of it and before I thought about getting into CAS. Haven't shot it that much and never in any sort of competition. I'm a greenhorn in this sport/hobby.....VERY GREEN.

So I was wondering if there has been any updates for modifications and parts availability for the Henry BBS rifles in the last several years to make them more competitive with the established field of rifles out there? I have it so I'll use it the way it is, but it would be nice to tweek it a bit if that helps. After all you have to start somewhere and this is what I have on hand.

THANKS

DD

You can replace the hammer spring with a Marlin adjustable spring and greatly reduce the cocking force. http://uniquetek.com/product/T1337

The lever lock spring can be significantly reduced by using the Marlin spring.

Polish the bolt block so that it moves effortlessly with or without the spring.

You can remove the sharp edges of the chamber and be sure to load your ammo to 357 length specs. Only use round nose or truncated cone bullets for cowboy. The shape of the bullet facilitates the cartridge entering the chamber.

Use the gun and after a few hundred rounds, polish any points that show wear.

The Henry has a long stroke and like the Marlin ejects the empty at the end of that stroke. Don't short stoke the lever when operating the gun.

There are no modifications that will make it run any faster than the above.

IMHO, the Henry Big Boy is not a reliable CAS rifle. The simple lever-bolt integration leaves a bit to be desired and the lever's "cam" typically needs to be reworked to get the bolt to fully close against the case. Without doing so, reliable shell extraction is iffy. And, the extractor is not ready for aggressive shooting. Difficult to get them to shoot reliably. I'd urge looking for any other traditional CAS rifle, lever or pump. RR

Archived