SASS Wire Forum

I Respectfully Suggest

Griff

that some computer savvy person hack this (favorite naval expletive) piece of unvarnished bovine excrement back! That, or change the approval process to require a better vetting.

This only seems to happen on this website! No matter what anyone from SASS says, they are the only ones getting hacked and I visit many websites and I have never seen this on any of them!

Other forums are getting hacked.

In stead of spending time deleting the hacker's post, the time is spent approving new registered members.

This does not stop the hackers but it does stop most from posting to the forum.

They are deleted/banned during the approval process.

In the forum admin section, there are switches that control how users are approved.

The biggest mistake is having automatic approval of all new registers.

Setting the switch to manual approve requires time of an administrator or moderator but that time is far less than the time required to go through and delete hacker attacks.

In stead of spending time deleting the hacker's post, the time is spent approving new registered members.

In the forum admin section, there are switches that control how users are approved.

Setting the switch to manual approve requires time of an administrator or moderator but that time is far less than the time required to go through and delete hacker attacks.

Yep.

Mahat Macoat struck again. Forcing our ever diligent moderators to waste their time kicking his sorry ass off the site when they could have been out shooting.

I have never ONCE seen hackers on other forums/websites that I visit, only this one!

Believe Cowboys and Indians website was destroyed a couple of years ago. Took them a long time to rebuild it. GW

I have never ONCE seen hackers on other forums/websites that I visit, only this one!

Colt Forum got hacked... forcing everyone to reregister with more convoluted passwords. Another forum had one of these azzhats hit them a few years... they went to a two-step registration process involving a human approval... haven't had one slip by in quite some time.

You are spot on, Cliff.

This isn't "being hacked", it is because we are open to authentication to anyone.

It is a case of "pay me now" or " fix me later".

For the most part, it most likely isn't even a person doing the posting, but an automated program or "bot".

So the time you guys spend railing against "THEM" is a waste of typing.

If the time stamps per post ( several post by same user) is the same or a minute apart, it is indeed a post bot.

Someone looks for forums that have automatic approval and then sick the auto posting bot on them.

The post bots can be set to post a given number of post per forum section that it gains access to.

What I find interesting is most forum software come set for real person registration approval.

I has to be manually reset to automatic approval.

Looking behind the forum curtain and in to the code, the software is currently a 2008 version of IPB CSS.

That is a long time during which software management switches can been changed to try and make the forum better for the users.

Changing the switch from manual approval to automatic approval would not necessarily show any difference at first.

Some one has to find the forum and recognize that the auto approve is on.

Then any time after that they can return and trash the forum with multiple postings.

If you have not seem other forums hacked, it is most likely that the auto approval is off.

Auto bots are usually not destructive but rather a big pain for the admin and moderators as they have to manually delete them one at a time more or less.

If you have not seen the spam postings then you most likely have a moderator or admin person who got up before you and has already deleted them.

For the most part, it most likely isn't even a person doing the posting, but an automated program or "bot".

So the time you guys spend railing against "THEM" is a waste of typing.

Someone looks for forums that have automatic approval and then sick the auto posting bot on them.

I believe it is against these that we rail.

Archived