SASS Wire Forum

Mills belt for a fat guy

Oddnews SASS# 24779

Follks, I won't sugar coat it, I'm fat. My rig has always been a Mills-style cloth belt for shotshells with a slide for handgun cartridges, used to hang holsters suitable to whichever handguns I'm using in the match. I need that style of Belt in a 50 or 52 waist, and can't find it. Does anyone know where suich can be had? (Outside "Thorton Melon's Wide and Fat" stores)
Thanks for the help.

I am, ahem, portly, (actually your size) and I use a Kirkpatrick rig. Separate shotgun belt and a Long Hunter rig. Works great for me.

20160303_170618.jpg

20160303_170808.jpg

I know that I once had a belt like you were describing when I was about 58" (yes, I've lost a lot since then). I think it was made by Tombstone Leather, or Tombstone outfitters.

Also, these guys have pants that go up to our size. Order 2 sizes larger though - Seriously.

http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=248750

I am, ahem, portly, (actually your size) and I use a Kirkpatrick rig. Separate shotgun belt and a Long Hunter rig. Works great for me.

20160303_170618.jpg

20160303_170808.jpg

I know that I once had a belt like you were describing when I was about 58" (yes, I've lost a lot since then). I think it was made by Tombstone Leather, or Tombstone outfitters.

My waist makes you guy's small. I second KIrkpatrick. I even found a shotgun belt just like I ordered someone returned and got it for half price about 2 years ago. I have purchased 3 complete rigs for me from Kirkpatrick.

I were a 48 pants myself and use kirtpatrick leather if I don't make my own the last setup I ordered earlier this tear I just told them in the comments section I wear a 48 pants and they got the belt perfect.

Oddnews, Texas Jack's was closing out their web belts (made by El Paso Saddlery) and had them on sale at Winter Range. Only a few sold. What I remember is the ones there were mostly either really small or really big. Give Texas Jack's a call, ask for Bob or Chip and see what they have, might be a good cost saving if they still have your size.

I have found over the years my gun belts seem to shrink some.

Now, I find during the year, I seem to change with the weather.

I had a new gun belt made after mine tore at the buckle.

I did not think to have it lengthened 3".

So, it was short and I could not quite make it work.

Instead of having a new belt made, I had a cheater strap made.

This would be a belt with the same buckle as my gun belt and the same width.

This cheater belt is 8" long with holes almost the full length.

This belt is buckled to the gun belt and allows me a lot of adjustment.

It does put two buckles on the gun belt but I no longer have to worry it won't fit.

I had made a cheater belt for my shotgun belt from and old shotgun belt that I no long could use.

I had worn out several of the loops.

They had frayed until they were just stringy.

Oddnews, if you don't find what you need let me know. I am a leather maker and over the last 2 years I have gone from a 56" waist to a 44". I know its hard to find larger sizes. I'm a little covered up right now because I am still teaching full time.

I can make you a belt to fit what you need, but I currently have a little bit of a waiting list. I make canvas belts in 2" and 3" width in any length you want. My belts are double canvas thickness. You can get it with leather tapered ends in 1 1/2" width or a true Mills buckle.

Archived