SASS Wire Forum

Dash cams

Matthew Duncan

Any of y'all have experience with a dash camera in your vehicle?

This summer I was T-boned. Fortunately 2 witness verified the other driver disregarded a red light.

Because of Indiana's windshield obstruction law, I'm not interested in windshield mounts.

Found a few that clamp on the rear view mirror. Adds about 1 1/2" to the bottom and will block my view.

Can't find what I think I want. Small camera on the dash with the box (brains) mounted lower on the dash out of the way. A second camera that would see the Officer at the drivers door if I'm stopped. GPS, time and date stamp would be nice

I bought one for my son (he wanted it) It is mounted on the passenger side up at the top of the windshield, but can mount below the mirror as well. Here is what I bought

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1080P-G1W-C-Car-Dash-Camera-DVR-NT96650-Chip-Capacitor-AR0330-Lens-Mirro-Mount-/252223960840?hash=item3ab9b83708:g:IqYAAOSwZ1lWgIln

Price is very reasonable and I received it in 4-5 days. Research suggested to me that this was a great value and that the capacitor powered units were far safer as the battery units have had some fire problems. I suspect the mounting options are nearly infinite and you could even hang one from the rear window facing forward.

Personally, I think they are a good idea-if you don't drive like an asshole

I bought one for my son (he wanted it) It is mounted on the passenger side up at the top of the windshield, but can mount below the mirror as well. Here is what I bought

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1080P-G1W-C-Car-Dash-Camera-DVR-NT96650-Chip-Capacitor-AR0330-Lens-Mirro-Mount-/252223960840?hash=item3ab9b83708:g:IqYAAOSwZ1lWgIln

Price is very reasonable and I received it in 4-5 days. Research suggested to me that this was a great value and that the capacitor powered units were far safer as the battery units have had some fire problems. I suspect the mounting options are nearly infinite and you could even hang one from the rear window facing forward.

Thanks J. Mark...That's exactly what I was looking for to install in my F-250!!!

Any of y'all have experience with a dash camera in your vehicle?

This summer I was T-boned. Fortunately 2 witness verified the other driver disregarded a red light.

Because of Indiana's windshield obstruction law, I'm not interested in windshield mounts.

Found a few that clamp on the rear view mirror. Adds about 1 1/2" to the bottom and will block my view.

Can't find what I think I want. Small camera on the dash with the box (brains) mounted lower on the dash out of the way. A second camera that would see the Officer at the drivers door if I'm stopped. GPS, time and date stamp would be nice

Matthew, after a bit of time, you'd get use to it being there and not notice the difference.

Also, if so inclined and your mirror is already window mounted, you could raise the mirror a couple of inches from the original position. Most any automotive store will have mirror mounting glue available.

I had a friend that was a trucker for a living and he also moonlighted as a limo driver as well. He spent alot of time behind the wheel so to speak, I also drive for a living my self. We agreed that a dash cam was a necessity in our cases, I told him "if you could only see what I see thru my front windshield you would $#@% yourself" A good motto to keep in mind I think- :D Anyway get this, the guy was hauling a load across TX when his rig was ran offroad by another trucker asleep at the wheel! His rig took the entire back half off the other trailer, then rolled down a 50 foot embankment and bursted into flames (he was hauling cars and the fuel leaked everywhere when he rolled the rig)....He had a dash cam but it didnt matter, the fire burned so hot that the car bodies melted and were indiscernible as cars even! Wonder if they make fire proof boxes for them?....Good idea I think.

Matthew, after a bit of time, you'd get use to it being there and not notice the difference.

Also, if so inclined and your mirror is already window mounted, you could raise the mirror a couple of inches from the original position. Most any automotive store will have mirror mounting glue available.

Hmmm. Remount the mirror higher! Excellent idea.

Thanks J. Mark...That's exactly what I was looking for to install in my F-250!!!

Thanks for posting .. . . I've been considering one . . . . looks like whut I need . . . . :)

I had a friend that was a trucker for a living and he also moonlighted as a limo driver as well. He spent alot of time behind the wheel so to speak, I also drive for a living my self. We agreed that a dash cam was a necessity in our cases, I told him "if you could only see what I see thru my front windshield you would $#@% yourself" A good motto to keep in mind I think- :D Anyway get this, the guy was hauling a load across TX when his rig was ran offroad by another trucker asleep at the wheel! His rig took the entire back half off the other trailer, then rolled down a 50 foot embankment and bursted into flames (he was hauling cars and the fuel leaked everywhere when he rolled the rig)....He had a dash cam but it didnt matter, the fire burned so hot that the car bodies melted and were indiscernible as cars even! Wonder if they make fire proof boxes for them?....Good idea I think.

I like the idea of a "Black Box" for automobiles.

But, methinks the cost of such, for now anyway, would be a bit on the negative side of purchasing and installing :o:huh: . But on the positive side, it might/would force insurance companies to come down in their prices knowing pictures and videos would be there recording an entire event. -_-

Hope your friend faired well in the accident and is okay. ;)

I like the idea of a "Black Box" for automobiles.

But, methinks the cost of such, for now anyway, would be a bit on the negative side of purchasing and installing :o:huh: . But on the positive side, it might/would force insurance companies to come down in their prices knowing pictures and videos would be there recording an entire event. -_-

Hope your friend faired well in the accident and is okay. ;)

He broke several ribs, bruised his kidneys so badly he passed blood out his urine for over a week, then shattered almost every bone in his right hand punching the widow out to escape the flaming wreck!......He was actually very lucky to not have died in the wreckage and been burned alive! The other trucker was found to be entirely at fault for the whole accident and he was completely unharmed!(how it usually go's)

...Your dash cam can give evidence against you as well as for you.

Good point. GPS option tag the photos with coordinates AND speed. Think I'll drop the GPS as one of my requirements.

Good point. GPS option tag the photos with coordinates AND speed. Think I'll drop the GPS as one of my requirements.

Two things.

Buy a new mounting puck for your mirror or have it professionally removed. Know of at least one windshield destroyed trying to remove the mirror mount.

Even without GPS it is a relatively easy math/geometry problem to determine velocity of all the objects in a video including the camera from the video.

Video will always be a two edged sword. So go ahead and the imbedded GPS.

Archived