SASS Wire Forum

Uberti El Patron hammer spring question

Hopalong Mac McLin

I recently purchased a set of new .357 Uberti El Patron New Model competitions. They come with Wolff springs, but the hammer is very heavy. Even with the competition hammer, the hammer pull is very difficult shooting double duelist. I had expected them to be competition ready. I need some advice on what type of hammer spring I need to install.

Are you sure it has Wolf springs? Does it have a slot in the middle? They are usually pretty good springs. The other popular model is the Lee Gunsmithing.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/performance-enhancing-kits/gunslinger-handgun-spring-kits-prod1577.aspx

If they are truly horrible I would contact the importer you bought them from and ask about them.

They are not horrible. They are just not as light and smooth a I expected and make firing a bit difficult. CORRECTION They DO NOT have the slotted Wolff main springs. They do have a trimmed down lightened mainspring, and the New Model Competition comes with the lower competition hammer.

They have the low competition hammers and the slotted main spring. I was thinking of trying the Lee Gunslinger main spring to see if that helps.

http://www.uberti.com/1873-cattleman-el-patron-competition-revolver

When I bought my El Patrons I accidentally ordered an El Patron and an El Patron Competition model. All the springs and internals were identical with the only difference being the comp had a lower wider hammer spur. I thought the internals were supposed to be different but they both had the Wolf springs. I replaced the non comp's hammer with one from Cimmaron

You have three ways to lighten the spring:

1) gently file each sides of the spring to the point it still does its job being light enough. Be carefull, should you file it too much, the spring would be ruined...

2) take a brass washer and file it to bevel it. Put it under the spring , beveled part up, toward the hammer. When screwing it, the spring will press the hammer at a lower angle with less pressure. Thus the hammer will be lghter when cocking.

3) least and last, the easiest way! Pick up a brass wire ( 1 to 2/100 inch) , cut the appropriate length to put it under the spring, perpendicularly to it, below the screw. Tighten the screw. Fine tune its position to obtain the desired spring angle and hammer smoothness.

Hope my english was good enough to explain all that.

Good luck.

In a prior life (Before I retired) I got sick of the taste of ground steel. Started building revolvers with "Lee's Gunsmithing Gunfighter" springs. they work very well. Available from Brownells.

Coffinmaker

I first used the gunfighter springs and was getting some winchester primers that didn't go bang. I switched to Wolff springs no problems , since then I went to federal primers and did some work on my uberti s. I may put the lees back in for a try

I pulled the backstrap and the the El Patron NM Comp does NOT have the slotted mainspring. I have ordered the CAS Wolff slotted springs. I will report on the difference.

Archived