SASS Wire Forum

Want to buy a real Colt SAA

Shooting Bull

Not me, I'm married so can't afford the real thing. :)

Friend from work is looking for a 2nd or 3rd generation .45 with a 7 1/2" barrel. Doesn't care if it's blue, stainless, CCH or what. Just wants to replace a pistol that was stolen from him years ago. Sorry, I didn't think to ask what kind of money he's willing to spend. I'll try to find that out and post it ASAP.

Any info sent to me will be passed directly to him. I can vouch for his character but won't have anything to do with the sale. You'll deal directly with him and only him.

I have bought, sold and swapped many times on the VAGunTrader site and never had a problem. However, I don't know this guy, nor anything about the gun, so if anything goes wrong, I won't want to hear about it. However, if you're willing to take a chance, check this ad out.

http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/954048/gonew/

Mornin' pard,

I've got a 2nd gen colt .45 with 7 1/2" barrel in 95% condition. !969 mfg. blued. asking $1800. It's been siitin' around not bein' shot, so I'd love for it to have a new home. It's a beauty, and shoots to point of aim.

I can send pics directly to you or him if he's interested.

Galute

Howdy all. First I want thank everybody who's sent PMs. I think I answered them all.

Second I wanted to let you all know that apparently my friend didn't do a lot of shopping before asking if I knew anybody selling. His budget is in the $1,000 - $1,200 range. That's obviously not going to go too far towards getting an authentic Colt. I guess I should have asked that question before creating this thread. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Www.cherrys.com

All of their guns are on their website.

Top level shop known by Colt Collectors.

SB,

Cherry's shows one in stock and it's almost in his price range.

Any chance he would be interested in a 1ST Gen Clone?

CBG

Tell your buddy that if he really wants a Colt, to save his money for one. I was discussing this with another shooter yesterday and we both had similar experiences. We thought that a Colt was too expensive and kept buying guns to get as close as possible. In the end, we ended up spending a lot of money on guns and still bought the Colt. If it's what you want, nothing else will satisfy you.

$1200 will buy a Colt Frontier, which is an SAA with adjustable sights.

$1400 will buy a good used Colt SAA if the buyer is very patient. It may be an odd caliber, like .41 Colt. It may not have a lot of finish. Bisleys tend to be less costly than standard SAAs.

There is 142 years of these guns, in several versions, calibers, barrels, finishes and conditions. For such a gun, the buyer out to buy a collectors book or spend time on the web to determine what they want and then save enough to buy it. An extra $300-500 for a better gun is well worth the time required to save up.

Archived