SASS Wire Forum

Start with shotgun in any safe position?

rippin kid

Three shooting position stage.

Can start anywhere. Rifle not last.

Pistols shot from center position, rifle from left.

Go ahead and start with pistols.

So do you think that's the best way for Everyone to shoot the stage or are you starting to see the light?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One drawback to options is that it can make the spotter's job a lot harder, because he doesn't know where to watch and when. There are still some ranges that don't have targets at arms reach!!

On the whole though, I like stages that give the shooter room for creativity.

When I have a stage with options, I always turn around and tell my spotters how I intend to do it. Once I do it, everyone on the posse usually starts doing it too.

this is ridiculous!!!! it should of course be explained what it means at each club...

Three shooting position stage.

Can start anywhere. Rifle not last.

Pistols shot from center position, rifle from left.

Go ahead and start with pistols.

If I started with pistols, How much time do you suppose I would I lose in the back and forth movement? I'm young and still fit, so one second? Two seconds? Maybe even 5 seconds? If I start with pistols and miss 1-2 shots (about the best I ever do), versus start with rifle and end up missing 3-4 shots with pistols then you tell me which is the best way for me to shoot the stage?

If I started with pistols, How much time do you suppose I would I lose in the back and forth movement? I'm young and still fit, so one second? Two seconds? Maybe even 5 seconds? If I start with pistols and miss 1-2 shots (about the best I ever do), versus start with rifle and end up missing 3-4 shots with pistols then you tell me which is the best way for me to shoot the stage?

Take five extra seconds with pistols and AIM those puppies! You will be better off no matter where you start.

If you are missing 1-2 pistols per stage then what I am saying is a bit advanced for you and true fully doesn't apply.

I think the horse is dead from the beating.....

Take five extra seconds with pistols and AIM those puppies! You will be better off no matter where you start.

If you are missing 1-2 pistols per stage then what I am saying is a bit advanced for you and true fully doesn't apply.

So all of your theories about there being only one way to shoot a stage only applies to the more "advanced" shooters?

So all of your theories about there being only one way to shoot a stage only applies to the more "advanced" shooters?

My theory applies to all levels. That translates to gun transitioning, economics of movement and maxamize/minimize the odds of not having a gun/ammo fubar. Oh ya, can you run backwards/forwards to next station the best and manipulate the barrel of LG through the various doors/window frames w/o breaking the 170 and how does that effect the decision?

I said there is 'usually' one way (shooting sequence/staging/running/etc for 'that' stage) that is the best. Best meaning the lowest time w/o penalties. If you are not interested in acheiving the lowest time, then that is OK, go shoot and have a good time. If you severely handy cap your self because of a weak segment (can only shoot pistols first and would be willing to traverse twice as much distance), then ya dug your self a pretty good hole and forget what I said above.

My original thought was for the shooters that had basic fair/good/excellent firearm (pistol, rifle, SG) handling skills. Didn't give it a thought about the folks that were struggling. With that, my theory doesn't apply. I did put in the qualifier the word 'usually'. You fall into the exception,,,,'usually' category.

For you,,, go ahead and shoot pistols first, when given the opportunity and take the beating.... it truely is the BEST for you at your skill level.

My theory applies to all levels. That translates to gun transitioning, economics of movement and maxamize/minimize the odds of not having a gun/ammo fubar. Oh ya, can you run backwards/forwards to next station the best and manipulate the barrel of LG through the various doors/window frames w/o breaking the 170 and how does that effect the decision?

I said there is 'usually' one way (shooting sequence/staging/running/etc for 'that' stage) that is the best. Best meaning the lowest time w/o penalties. If you are not interested in acheiving the lowest time, then that is OK, go shoot and have a good time. If you severely handy cap your self because of a weak segment (can only shoot pistols first and would be willing to traverse twice as much distance), then ya dug your self a pretty good hole and forget what I said above.

My original thought was for the shooters that had basic fair/good/excellent firearm (pistol, rifle, SG) handling skills. Didn't give it a thought about the folks that were struggling. With that, my theory doesn't apply. I did put in the qualifier the word 'usually'. You fall into the exception,,,,'usually' category.

For you,,, go ahead and shoot pistols first, when given the opportunity and take the beating.... it truely is the BEST for you at your skill level.

Phew. Thanks for that. I was really worried that I would have to alter my entire approach, but now that I have your permission to continue shooting in a manner that is comfortable and fun for me I can carry on as I always have. And I especially wouldn't want to stop shooting gunfighter with full cases of BP in 45 Colt just because it's more efficient not to.

Phew. Thanks for that. I was really worried that I would have to alter my entire approach, but now that I have your permission to continue shooting in a manner that is comfortable and fun for me I can carry on as I always have. And I especially wouldn't want to stop shooting gunfighter with full cases of BP in 45 Colt just because it's more efficient not to.

:D :D :D:D :D :D :D :D :D :D now that was funny!!!!

What I picture in my head is a new shooter walking up to some of these seasoned vets for advise and getting told "This is the best way to shoot this stage". Unbeknownst to the new shooter who shoots left hand cross draw that the seasoned vets shoot right hand cross draw and are so closed minded that they think it doesn't make a difference. No advice is better than bad advice any day. But I've probably out stayed my welcome here. Thanks to Rippin Kid for getting this ball rolling.

No problem, I can help you be more inefficient in your shooting style if you wish. Really, I know a gunfighter that doesn't give a rip about his score or time. A good 6 stage match for him is something less than 400 seconds. He enjoys the costuming and clowning around while he shoots. He wouldn't have even responded to what I posted. He doesn't care. I am not for sure if he would volunteerly start the stage in the middle, but it wouldn't surprise me either. So, good for him, good for you. I believe there is a category for BPGF. BPGF wouldn't be the first choice of categories if your goals was Top gun overall.

You can only finish in one of the end windows so it wouldn't make sense to start there. Starting in the middle requires more movement.

Put the rifle in the middle and now there are real options.

Yep, you got it. But RK isn't there yet.

BTW, you could take the long road and end in the middle.

Now then, rifle in middle, SG on left table,, and pistol on right.

What is your inclination for starting position? :)

oh ya, and why? :D:lol:

P.S.,,,,, one of my points in this threat is that just because the stage description states any gun, any order, staged anywhere, so long as rifle isn't last can be meaningless, All depends on how/where the targets are placed. The targets placement rather dictates where guns goes and then things hinge on where the rifle is staged. Most people already knows this.

What I picture in my head is a new shooter walking up to some of these seasoned vets for advise and getting told "This is the best way to shoot this stage". Unbeknownst to the new shooter who shoots left hand cross draw that the seasoned vets shoot right hand cross draw and are so closed minded that they think it doesn't make a difference. No advice is better than bad advice any day. But I've probably out stayed my welcome here. Thanks to Rippin Kid for getting this ball rolling.

A new shooter would be thankful for any shooting sequence advise. Their mind would be spinning trying to remember which gun, which side, don't drop the darn thing, what is that loud noise, how many shoots have i fired, cock the hammer, lever the rifle, where are the SG shells, am i making a fool of myself, boy is this fun. And the list goes on.

Just look at how many regulars at every shoot are looking for guidance. Just tell them how to shoot it.

No problem, I can help you be more inefficient in your shooting style if you wish.

If you have written a manual or tutorial on being more inefficient, I'd kind of like to see it. PM me for my email address if you don't want to post it in the thread.

The way I see it, if it takes you 20 seconds to shoot a stage and takes me 60, I had 3x as much fun as you for the same match fee. Plus, I don't have to worry about making room for trophies.

If you have written a manual or tutorial on being more inefficient, I'd kind of like to see it. PM me for my email address if you don't want to post it in the thread.

The way I see it, if it takes you 20 seconds to shoot a stage and takes me 60, I had 3x as much fun as you for the same match fee. Plus, I don't have to worry about making room for trophies.

i enjoy your style and thought. I will work on the manual but in the mean time...try the below.

Load one, shoot one, load one shoot one,,,,in all your guns when allowed came to mind during my hike in the back country today. :) Silly they say in description that the pistols and rifle must be loaded with (x) rounds with hammer down on empty. :) Leave it open ended where it is shooters choice to load on the LT or load on the active firing line. Could game it and rack out all ten out of the rifle after the beep and then reload off body in the above prescribed method. :P

i enjoy your style and thought. I will work on the manual but in the mean time...try the below.

Load one, shoot one, load one shoot one,,,,in all your guns when allowed came to mind during my hike in the back country today. :) Silly they say in description that the pistols and rifle must be loaded with (x) rounds with hammer down on empty. :) Leave it open ended where it is shooters choice to load on the LT or load on the active firing line. Could game it and rack out all ten out of the rifle after the beep and then reload off body in the above prescribed method. :P

There's a non-sass match I shoot at every other month that allows rifle caliber rifles (what a novel concept). One stage had 17 rifle targets. The rules state that you can load up as many as your gun(s) can hold and/or you can bring more than one gun to the line. This fellow brought his match gun with 10 rounds, his 30-30 with 5 rounds, and a single shot rifle that he loaded on the clock. He had a lot of fun on that stage, and we all had fun watching him handle those guns.

There's a non-sass match I shoot at every other month that allows rifle caliber rifles (what a novel concept). One stage had 17 rifle targets. The rules state that you can load up as many as your gun(s) can hold and/or you can bring more than one gun to the line. This fellow brought his match gun with 10 rounds, his 30-30 with 5 rounds, and a single shot rifle that he loaded on the clock. He had a lot of fun on that stage, and we all had fun watching him handle those guns.

Sounds like fun!

Archived