SASS Wire Forum

Handling the new 'Remlin' 1894 ..... unofficial observation by me

Widder, SASS #59054

I was able to check out TWO new 1894's today in the local gunshop.

NO, I didn't get to shoot them nor run any dummy rounds thru them.

But here is my quick assessments on both of them:

The wood was o.k. Nothing to brag about, yet not gawdy. I like darker wood on my Marlins but both of these had a lighter texture to them. There were no obvious niks or scratches. The wood to metal fit was acceptable, and actually, there was no ugly gaps anywhere. As common on alot of Marlin lever rifles, the forend wood was toooooo fat, in my opinion.

The blueing on both rifles looked good.

Both rifles were in .44 mag with round barrels which appeared to be approx 20".

I worked the action on BOTH rifles. Although alittle stiff, they both worked without any odd feelings in the actions. And even the lever on both of them could be opened and closed without having to fight an overly stiff lever plunger.

All in all, I figure these rifles will feel pretty comforting in the hands of a 'woods hunter' when he has to face a killer buck in the woods or that occasional 'Onk Onk' coming from a Laurel thicket.

I figured with a couple spring changes and maybe some minimal polishing, these new 1894's will be a happy edition to somebody's 'hunting' arsenal.

Without being able to check out other aspects of these new 1894's, I can't honestly comment on how competitive they can be setup for CAS.

But if I were a feller looking for a good rifle to use in close hunting terrain and ifn I liked the .44 Mag, I would recommend these new 1894's be considered.

I hope they are starting to get it 'more better'.

EDIT: price is $689

..........Widder

I bought one in .44 mag made in 2014 one hour in my shop including changing springs and its ready to go for Frontier Cartridge Duelist in the spring.

There was no need for major changes just some polishing, removal of some burs and Wolff Spring set good to go.

A great big improvement on past Remington efforts ...

Jabez Cowboy

Some of you may recall my report on the new Marlins from a couple months ago. I DID have the opportunity to run some dummy rounds thru the gun I handled. My results were good and my observations were similar to Widder's. I do believe the Marlin .44 Magnum 1894 is the strongest, most overall useful gun that is also SASS legal.

Fillmore

The .44 mag Marlin is one heck of a deer rifle for sure. My little girls second favorite gun behind her new Win. 73. She has got five deer with her Marlin.

What does it all mean Widder? Do you think Remington got their act together, and you can Widdermatic one up now without having to virtually re-man the rifle? Will a JM stamp quit being a $400.00 dollar adder?

Howdy Barkeep.

To me, here is what it means soooooo far.

Jabez Cowboy and Fillmore Coffins have a good knowledge of firearms and such and carry some 'clout' with me when they give their assessment of a gun.

And I think Jabez has probably busted a knuckle or two (like myself) working on a Marlin in the past.

Anyhow, ifn their assessment seems to be favorable, as is mine, my guess is that Remington might score a winner with their latest 1894 issue.

But I must add that until I can break one down, check to see how things line up and check the timing, etc..... it is hard to give a full assessment.

Assuming the steel is good and can be polished, angled, slanted, etc....... then YES, it can become a bragable Widdermatic.

My guess is that Remington is gona try and REESTABLISH domain again with the 1894 in this .44 configuration AND THEN, give us some nice Cowboy rifles with Octagon barrels and some real nice Carbines also.

Knowing the history of Remington, we might get some 'special run' guns with some real good wood and appropriate calibers.

I think I'll save some $$$, just in case.

p.s. - The JM brand will still bring a few more bucks, but particularly in the Cowboy configurations. Atleast until Remington starts to flood the market with some 1894 'Cowboys'.

Thats just my opinion.

..........Widder

I saw this auction link today that has some pictures of what I'm assuming is the updated Marlin but in .357.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/987450321/Marlin-1894C-357Mag-NIB.htm

(It's been sold so I'm assuming linking to an auction is ok)

Archived