SASS Wire Forum

45 colt Trail boss load

Fightin Frank, #25428 Life

I needed to get some advice and what people have been doing load wise with 45colt with a 160gr using trail boss. People have been telling me to down size to a 160gr bullet so got some (was using 250gr for years) and was just about to load it and said maybe I should look this up load/seat wise. I was surprised what I found.

... Thoughts?

Frank,

The numbers are correct. Look at the different bullets weights compared to each other and you will find that the starting load for a 160 grain bullet generates less pressure than any other loading. The 160 grain bullet is a very small piece of lead in a very large case. If I remember correctly, Hodgdon doesn't recommend loading 45C and 44-40 below 180 grs with Trailboss as it is somewhat erratic in performance below that weight. As it is, you'll get even more blowback with bullets lighter than 200 grains. I used the 180 grain bullets and they worked well enough, but switched to the 200 grain loading and can't see much of a difference. Try the 160 grain bullets at the starting load and see what you think. Although people have loaded Tralboss way below the starting level, it's a very bad idea, especially in rifles.

BTW, specific loads are not to be mentioned on the wire.

See you at Jackson.

Tex

I needed to get some advice and what people have been doing load wise with 45colt with a 160gr using trail boss. People have been telling me to down size to a 160gr bullet so got some (was using 250gr for years) and was just about to load it and said maybe I should look this up load/seat wise. I was surprised what I found.

I had been using 200gr with 5.6gr of trail boss seated at 1.595. I just looked at IMR site and it has for trail boss using a 160gr bullet use 7gr of TB and seat it at 1.5". Thought the powder charge was a bit high and the velocity was like 900fps vs like 700. Power factor wise that's like 4000 more. Just does not seem right or needed. Thoughts?

160x900/1000=144 power factor

How did you come up with 4000 more?

I just looked at IMR site and it has for trail boss using a 160gr bullet use 7gr of TB

For a gamer load in a set of Open Tops, I use an even lighter bullet (round ball) and almost a grain less TB. If I go much less, I get primer setback.

160x900/1000=144 power factor

How did you come up with 4000 more?

My bad I did not divide by 1000 for the true power factor

i.e.

200gr*700fps=140,000

160grx900=144,000

still it's like 2.7% more for a lighter bullet.

Frank,

The numbers are correct. Look at the different bullets weights compared to each other and you will find that the starting load for a 160 grain bullet generates less pressure than any other loading. The 160 grain bullet is a very small piece of lead in a very large case. If I remember correctly, Hodgdon doesn't recommend loading 45C and 44-40 below 180 grs with Trailboss as it is somewhat erratic in performance below that weight. As it is, you'll get even more blowback with bullets lighter than 200 grains. I used the 180 grain bullets and they worked well enough, but switched to the 200 grain loading and can't see much of a difference. Try the 160 grain bullets at the starting load and see what you think. Although people have loaded Tralboss way below the starting level, it's a very bad idea, especially in rifles.

BTW, specific loads are not to be mentioned on the wire.

See you at Jackson.

Tex

Tex, thanks. Looking at the IMR site looks like the 160gr is 8100psi and the 200gr is 8000 psi.

Best way to work up a load for trail boss is using the procedure IMR has here http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Trail Boss is very sensitive to having too much case volume. Because we often load bullets that are not exactly like the ones specified on Hodgdon's website you can end up with too much case volume when trying to load at the minimums. Excessive case volume will cause very erratic behavior and can cause a lot of issues. Do it like the link says and you cannot go wrong.

For what it's worth, I would go at least 0.2 grain above what you calculate to ensure you don't end up with too much case volume due to minor variation is charge weight / bullet seat depth. Chasing the absolute minimum will only cause more3 problems than any advantage a slight reduction in recoil gives.

I tried 160 grain bullets, just didn't like them. 170 is the smallest I would load into my LCs. I,ve been shootin' 180 for the last few years. In a heavy gun like a Vaquero I can't really feel the difference and it not going to matter much in any rifle. Besides real men shoot 45's

Iirc I went to the WBAS board where they were able to list such things and grabbed the data for it there as I was using the caliber mainly fo wbas and bu main sass.

Archived