SASS Wire Forum

Lightning Revolver base pin is very particular

Houston CAS

So being the good husband that I am, I was going to clean my wife's new-only-shot-once Cimarron Lightning revolvers, and found out the hard way that these things have a base pin that only works one way.

The base pin has dimples on only one side that the base pin spring goes over. To help with making sure you orient the base pin correctly, the top of the base pin is flat in one spot. You must have that flat part against the barrel of the revolver. It is very easy to accidentally turn the base pin as you're sliding it into the cylinder, and that's what happened to me. By the time I had this figured out, both revolvers were stuck. :wacko:

To fix it, I removed the base pin screw/spring to make my life easier, then gently tapped the base pin out a bit to free the top of it that had gotten stuck against the barrel. I then carefully made sure I slid the base pin back in correctly, and I was back in business.

Flat top of base pin:

RbHmgqj.jpg

Beveled part that goes over the spring:

RL4UGTJ.jpg

You have probably noticed, the base pin also has two "notches" for the base pin "latch." The second notch allows the base pin to protrude thru the back of the frame and act as a safety. This "safety" position is solely to pass the Fed's drop test requirement for import.

Should you happen to clean your sweetheart's pistol and inadvertently seat the pin in the second position, when she shoots her pistol on the first stage, it will go click, click, click .......... She will become very embarrassed, the very angry. You will have to cook dinner, the find out if the couch is comfey.

Don't ask how I know this :-(

It is suggested, to remove the last 3/16ths of an inch of the base pin, then polish the end. Then you will always seat the base pin fully and there will be no click, click, click ...... Ever!

Coffinmaker

I too have had to learn about those base pins the hard way. I cut the ones on my wife's down to prevent that from happening agin.

Another advantage of shortening the base pin is that the ejector rod will push the empties out just a little farther. My wife loves hers but I really wish the ejector rod was longer. Having to pull every casing out with your finger nail is a real PITA.

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old but I ran across it looking for something else.

The Pietta single action revolver base pins also have just the two notches for the latch instead of grooves all the way around. They don't have the flat on the opposite side of the base pin head, but they will be hard to remove if you insert them without those notches properly aligned. Fortunately an Uberti base pin will fit in the Pietta if one wishes to do so.

That flat side on the pin is actually a feature found on original Colt Lightnings. (I've got 2 of 'em) But they are a little easier to notice on the originals.

As far as those double notches go, yep, my Armi San Marco Peacemaker clone has one. Learned what it is the hard way. They see to be a cheap way to put a "safety" on an SAA type gun without butchering the design.

Archived