SASS Wire Forum

powder reservoir

With the powder shortage (anyone getting any pistol powder anywhere) I am running out of titegroup. In my dillon 550rl I have about 1.5" left of it left. It still meters okay.

Can I run dry and use up the last of it or should I do something near the end to help it meter consistently. My harebrained idea is to put a baggie of beans on top the powder. Thanks in advance, as always,

Slim

ps I want to shoot with lead dispenser, phantom,raven moon, little crazy woman and her husband

I have dropped the lid from a Titegroup container upside down on top of the powder and then dropped a couple of lead bullets on the lid to add some weight when the powder gets real low. The lid fits in the Dillon powder dispenser nicely.

I don't like to mix one lot of powder with another.

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

J-Bar is right. NEVER MIX POWDERS!!!

I know you weren't saying to do that, but it's a good idea to remind new folks.

Mustang

It may depend on what powder measure you have as to "how low can you go!" mine works well as long as I can see powder in the bottom. plus one for the not to mix powders, like J bar and Mustang Greg said. I mixed a different lot of same manufacture, and same propellant in my shotgun hopper, and a chemical reaction occurred that ruined the plastic hopper, turned it into a mushy mess. it was a hard plastic 2" tube that was 16 inches tall, returned to the press in a couple of days and the tube was bent over, drooping down like it had been put in the oven and melted! damndest thing I ever seen. The propellant was 700 x. The only powder I have used in the last fifteen years, 12 gg, 20 gg, .38, .45 acp, .45 colt. I wish I had a picture to post, it was laughable!

6 months ago I used the last of my tight group it was in my Dillion as it got close to the end I double checked every 3rd charge because I was concerned about a "light charge". It stayed consistent right up to the last case (only 1/2 a charge)

Both my Dillon SDB and 550 meter exact right up to the last.. I have checked as I ran out of powder... :(

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

A little off-topic, but the most repeatable powder measure I ever used is the Dillon measure.

They were very accurate almost right to the bottom of the stack.

Mustang

Archived