SASS Wire Forum

Talk to me about universal powders to choose from

Smithy

Howdy folks: When I was shooting SASS I used only one powder for all of my loads, 45LC and 12 gauge. All loaded with Pyrodex P or in real black circles FFF. It was wonderful, rifle shotgun and revolver all used the very same powder and also the very same primer (a standard large pistol primer). I can't use black now, otherwise I would, but the shooting range doesn't like black at all, and they'll kick you out in a heartbeat if you cap one off.

Post SASS, I'm now loading 38 special, 44 magnum, and 410 brass hulled defensive loads with four #000 buckshot. I'd like a powder that will have flexibility in loads and service all three calibers. I don't need it to excel any one cambering, just be OK in each and safe to load. Alliant seemed to be the perfect ticket until I found that Alliant 2400 cannot be found, at all. Seeming to mirror black in the bulk loading amounts and the flexibility of reduced loading's as well as applications in several calibers, Trail Boss has come up more than a few times. I know that it could handle the 38 and 44, but are any of you up on its use in the 410, remembering that it will be brass hulls and a solid projectile? I happen to think that it would be a great choice, but I just don't know enough about the powder. I've used 2400 before and have already selected my loads (if ever I can find a pound or two). This is based upon minimum and maximum loading data. I select around the 50 to 75 percent of maximum from minimum and load a bunch and shoot a bunch without ever needing to go to the range to check things out since I selected a relatively safe starting load from the very start of the game. I did that with all of my black powder loads even when changing bullets and never at all had a problem with predetermining my load before any rounds went downrange. 2400 would simply be 8 grains in 38 with a 158 cast TL bullet, 18 grains in 44 with a 240 grain TL bullet, and finally 13 grains in 410 with the brass hulls, the stretch wads, CCI 300's, and four disks made from 70 grain #000 buckshot. I know the powder and estimated the 75 percent loads so that I'd never have to fire a single shot to know that these would be just what I need.

So would Trail Boss be similar? Has anyone seen solid projectile 410 loading information. It really does seem that 410 powders work as pistol powder and equally speaking, pistol powders quite often are perfect for the 410. After all, it's basically a long 45LC and nothing more. Any help would be appreciated. Smithy.

Bad juju to be posting actual loads, Smithy. You might want to edit your original post to remove those numbers for your 2400 loads.

In general, one smokeless powder to handle the range of factory level lead bullet loading in 38 special, 44 mag and .410 shotgun buckshot loads just ain't gonna happen.

Unique and Universal can struggle along at ;) produce Cowboy power levels fine in the cartridges you are asking about, but not up at the power levels that 2400 gives.

But 410 buckshot loads are pretty tricky. Look for buckshot loads in your handy Lyman Shotshell Loading manual. Most likely you will find they want to use H110 or Win 296 or some other fairly slow powder.

And, no, a 410 buckshot load is not just a .45 Colt in a plastic hull. Four balls in a buckshot load is not "just a solid projectile" - you have a wad involved, too, among other factors not found in cartridge loads. 000 buckshot in a .410 shotshell wad is a VERY tight fit with the .410 bore and any choke. Be careful and follow known loading data. Most folks loading .410 report using 00 buckshot in wads along with some shot buffer.

Get a good manual, read it, and you will probably be looking at two powders. Better two cans sitting on your shelf than one hand blown off from trying to make one smokeless power stretch too far. Ballistic Products would be where I would look for a special manual just for brass hull .410 buckshot loads - that's pretty darn specialized.

And right now, good luck buying ANY powder. Gol-darn hoarders are on to powder now.

Good luck, GJ

In general, one smokeless powder to handle the range of factory level lead bullet loading in 38 special, 44 mag and .410 shotgun buckshot loads just ain't gonna happen.

Unique and Universal can struggle along at Cowboy power levels fine

Good luck, GJ

"Struggle along"-That's so funny........ :lol::blink:

LG

Archived