SASS Wire Forum

Has anyone used Deft spray lacquer?

Clay Mosby

Has anyone had any experience with Deft spray lacquer? My usual source has suddenly stopped carrying the satin spray lacquer I usually use, and with a custom order needing to be finished I'm looking for a viable replacement. I tried a urethane, but with my unheated shop having great difficulty getting urethane to cure.

I get mine in another state. I posted this about a month ago when I couldn't get it anymore. The water based Deft is not nearly as good, IMHO.

The stuff I bought is called Clear Wood Finish (Spray Lacquer) and is definitely not water based. It does seem to take a little bit longer to dry than the Valspar I used to get at Lowes, but my test piece seems to be turning . Was just looking for pro's or cons before trying it on the finished project.

Clay, the only Deft lacquer available, after the old Deft is gone will be the water based stuff. Stores can sell existing stock but you cannot have anymore shipped into the state. I have tried using the water based finishes for the last 10 years or so and they are not near the same, unfortunately.

I don't use a lacquer or any oil based finishes when I do any woodworking...unless they're going to be an outside only project. The biggest reason is if I find a stain color I like and put an oil based finish on it, it changes and "yellow's" the color I applied. Water based won't do that. And I've found that water based cures faster and only needs a very light sanding between the 1st 2 coats, and I mean very light. But then, my shop is heated, so that helps the drying process on either oil or water based.

We have boats... a couple of sail boats and a fishing boat. They live outdoors.

I'm a mite apprehensive about using water-based finishes on them.

But golly gee... I guess we're all gonna be saved by not having oil-based finishes available. <_<

In the past I've used Varathane Diamond water based urethane and have always had amazing results. Once it cures it's rock hard and very waterproof. It wets sands and polishes up nice with pumice or rottenstone and oil....

I've run a cabinet shop for years and Deft was our main finish for a couple of decades. We now use a catalyzed varnish which is much more durable. Lacquer is easier to use and has a long shelf life. The varnish only lasts about three weeks after it is catalyzed. Deft was for the most part a pretty good product. It doesn't do too well when exposed to moisture for a while. A sweating glass will leave a ring, but it usually goes away as the surface dries.

MTJ

Archived