SASS Wire Forum

Being logical is exhausting

I just spent the better part of two hours replying to an Op Ed piece in the Boston Globe advocating stricter gun control. After my initial response, the writer got on the response section and wrote 5 more mini-articles; I responded to those as well, and also to some other comments by readers.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2013/09/19/navy-yard-shooting-reveals-gaps-our-gun-laws/wVeHePog0r2LnxFTmpABeO/story.html

In a nutshell, I was refuting the usual claims about the "gun show loophole" and the need for gun owner insurance; I was also urging the argument that the recent mass shootings are about mental health issues, not the types of weapons or ammo used, or other irrelevancies.

It's hard to keep your cool, and remain on point, when the baseless crap and emotional arguments start flying. I'm pooped.

I need to go shoot something...oops...like a steel target!

LL

I just spent the better part of two hours replying to an Op Ed piece in the Boston Globe advocating stricter gun control. After my initial response, the writer got on the response section and wrote 5 more mini-articles; I responded to those as well, and also to some other comments by readers.

In a nutshell, I was refuting the usual claims about the "gun show loophole" and the need for gun owner insurance; I was also urging the argument that the recent mass shootings are about mental health issues, not the types of weapons or ammo used, or other irrelevancies.

It's hard to keep your cool, and remain on point, when the baseless crap and emotional arguments start flying. I'm pooped.

I need to go shoot something...oops...like a steel target!

LL

Good job - now just use a sheet of TP ( :P) to clean up and as the good Colonel would say..."Soldier on" :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

All I can say Mr. Loophole is

WOW!!

Very nice job of presenting facts in the face of an agenda driven fantasy by someone who has a platform they clearly have no business being on.

Regarding the "gun show loophole", here in Colorado if ANY part of a firearms transaction is INITIATED on the premises of a scheduled gun show (even in the parking lot) with either a dealer or a PRIVATE individual that transaction must be completed through an FFL. Typically big signs are posted at all entrances. This means if you see a firearm you like but don't have the funds and discuss buying it from a private individual at a later date that sale is now subject to FFL regulations. Of course with our new more better laws (where is the sarcasm smiley?) all private sales are subject to those same regulations.

I also have a question that possibly you can answer, the columnist stated there is a billboard that he accepts as fact that claims 600,000 homicide deaths due to firearms since 1995. My calculator says that works out to 33,333 firearms homicides per year average (600K/18 years). If suicides are typically half of the deaths by firearms per year that would mean over 1.2 million deaths, which seems a bit skewed. (600k homicides and 600k suicides). Honestly don't know and could use the help. Thanks

Regards (and good work)

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

A suggestion.............

Save your efforts in a document file. They do. When they cut/paste their crap, your response will be easier and quicker.

Don't just work harder, work smarter.

Well Done LL! Impressive restraint and cogent thought and expression. Mr Lehigh is seeing (and writing) through relatively opaque glasses.

We are living the Chinese curse/proverb: " May you live in interesting times". A big part is the education about what the 2nd Ammendment was all about (one commentor provided the example of complete ignorance).

I lived in Boston for a year... good luck.... you are as challenged as we in Kalifornia (if not more), but we do not give up the effective fight.

All I can say Mr. Loophole is

WOW!!

Very nice job of presenting facts in the face of an agenda driven fantasy by someone who has a platform they clearly have no business being on.

Regarding the "gun show loophole", here in Colorado if ANY part of a firearms transaction is INITIATED on the premises of a scheduled gun show (even in the parking lot) with either a dealer or a PRIVATE individual that transaction must be completed through an FFL. Typically big signs are posted at all entrances. This means if you see a firearm you like but don't have the funds and discuss buying it from a private individual at a later date that sale is now subject to FFL regulations. Of course with our new more better laws (where is the sarcasm smiley?) all private sales are subject to those same regulations.

I also have a question that possibly you can answer, the columnist stated there is a billboard that he accepts as fact that claims 600,000 homicide deaths due to firearms since 1995. My calculator says that works out to 33,333 firearms homicides per year average (600K/18 years). If suicides are typically half of the deaths by firearms per year that would mean over 1.2 million deaths, which seems a bit skewed. (600k homicides and 600k suicides). Honestly don't know and could use the help. Thanks

Regards (and good work)

:FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Kid:

The referenced billboard is maintained by a local who has more money than intellectual honesty. It's on the Mass Pike, in a heavily traveled section headed into downtown Boston. It used to have pictures of kids, with text claiming that it was displaying an updated total of the number of "children" killed by handguns. When it was revealed that his numbers included teenage gang members shot during crimes, and other distortions of the "children" concept, it was changed to "all victims" - and apparently still includes criminals killed during crimes. I have no idea where he gets his numbers; they are not authoritative, and I long ago decided to ignore this flatulent display.

After the Boston Marathon bombings, a lot of folks in this area, when interviewed on TV during the spectacular house-to-house search for the second bomber, admitted that they wished that they owned a gun. My thought at the time was that I wished I could afford a billboard across the Pike from this one, on which I would run video clips of those folks yearning for a gun, 24 hours a day. It's one thing to pay lip service to a liberal ideal when you are safe and secure in your home; it's a totally different scenario when you are confronted with the violent and ugly real-world scenario of the need for self-protection.

LL

The right to own (and carry) was spelled out when? It was when a large percentage of US citizens lived in dangerous areas.

Seems to me we still do.

Self protection is a right that obviously seems to be a part of gun ownership. Why do so few of us bring that up?

The right to own (and carry) was spelled out when? It was when a large percentage of US citizens lived in dangerous areas.

Seems to me we still do.

Self protection is a right that obviously seems to be a part of gun ownership. Why do so few of us bring that up?

I've got a theory, Red...but I don't know if it holds water.

Lots of folks, especially in the cities and the suburbs, have an expectation that either (a) they are safe, or ( B) that the police will protect them if they are threatened. We are also 3 or more generations removed in these areas from common ownership of guns, wide-spread hunting, or other shooting in general. These folks have lost the tradition, lost the skills, and given up ownership. They rely on others to keep them safe, often to their detriment. Some huddle in their homes, afraid to venture out after dark. And most of these same folks are easily persuaded by gutless politicians that they need to vote to "get guns off the street", preying on their fears and ignorance.

A right not frequently exercised is soon lost, and once lost, is seldom able to be recovered.

LL

PS: By "ignorance", I do not mean "stupidity". These are folks who simply were not taught about the connection between the 2nd Amendment, private ownership of arms, and individual freedom. I'm a child of the 60's, and these concepts never crossed my teachers' lips during my state-sponsored education. If we want folks to understand the huge responsibilities that we all carry in a free society, we need to TEACH - not scream, not insult, not accuse - but teach about the heritage of our country, the meaning of our Constitution, and the fallicies so often spread about guns.

LL

Archived