SASS Wire Forum

My new flag

I installed a 25ft flagpole in my front yard when I retired from the Air Force in 2010 and figured I'd be in this house for several years to come. I've always had the Grand Union flag on top, but I've also had variations on the bottom flag. I flew the USAF retired flag for a while, then I put up a yellow Gadsden don't tread on me flag, then I put up the white Culpepper "Liberty or Death" don't tread on me. Recently with all the anti-gunners turning up their rhetoric I decided to get this one and fly it for a while. Happy Memorial Day to all my military brethren.

482618_577854058901525_1698953750_n.jpg

Given that I'm a practicing idiot, with many years experience: what's the top flag? The 13 Bars of the US flag, but a not quite UK Jack in the Union Field?

It's called the Grand Union flag and is widely recognized as the first "true" American flag.

http://www.usflag.org/history/grandunion1775.html

Thank you, Sir!

I installed a 25ft flagpole in my front yard when I retired from the Air Force in 2010 and figured I'd be in this house for several years to come. I've always had the Grand Union flag on top, but I've also had variations on the bottom flag. I flew the USAF retired flag for a while, then I put up a yellow Gadsden don't tread on me flag, then I put up the white Culpepper "Liberty or Death" don't tread on me. Recently with all the anti-gunners turning up their rhetoric I decided to get this one and fly it for a while. Happy Memorial Day to all my military brethren.

Interesting, it has the Cross of St. George for Britain, the Scottish flag, but not the Irish representation. Gonna have to have a heart-to-heart with Google to find out...

Thank you for your Service, Gen.

The original Union Jack was the St. Andrews Cross and the St. Georges Cross and that's all. Being of English/Scottish, and Irish descent I have studied a few things on that. Ireland is represented in the royal arms as the harp; but that can be an entirely separate thread in itself.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/MonarchUK/Symbols/Coatsofarms.aspx

Thank ye kindly, Gen.

From Wikipedia:

The current design dates from a Royal Proclamation following the Union of Great Britain and Ireland in 1801.[4] The flag combines aspects of three older national flags: the red cross of St George for England and Wales, the white saltire of St Andrew for Scotland (which two were united in the first Union Flag), and the red saltire of Saint Patrick's Flag to represent Ireland.

I'm gobsmacked that it was 1801 when Ireland was brought (kicking and screaming I'm sure) into the Empire.

I find that rotating flags makes em last a lot longer in this Colorady wind. I like thisn too.Even though I was never in the Navy. ;)

1-25-11.jpg

I did live in the Republic of Texas for 4 years during my active duty military days. I'm allowed to fly this one. :D

Born and raised Tejas boy ! B)

I'll fly dat flag an proud too ! :lol:

Archived