SASS Wire Forum

saddle ring on M66 problem

Bugler

The other day the nut on my M66 backed off completely inside the reciever and the ring and stud loop fell off. I took the stock off and loosened the mainspring so as to have access to re-thread the nut.....

I cannot get the nut re-started ( and I have small fingers) nor can I find a tool that I can use to tighten it down firmly.

Any ideas fellow cowboys?

Bugler

I had one on a 92 come off.I had I little set of wrenches. It was 1/4" or 7/32".Both are in my gun parts box.

Bugler,

I used some long needle nosed pliers, and if I remember correctly I accessed it through the opening in the frame where the hammer sits. I cocked the hammer and there it was. Mine was one of the early Navy Arms models so new ones may be different.

Hope this helps,

Smoke

finally got the nut started (not sure how I got it started) and borrowed my neighbors set of ignition wrenches to tighten it to the best of my ability. Had to keep turning the wrench to get an angle on the nut....

THAT was an adventure!!

Bugler

I didn't as I was getting SO frustrating trying to get the nut to thread...wish I had ...however..I am NOT going to take it back apart to apply it. It stayed in place since we bought for my Dad in 1972 or so....hopefully it will stay in place for another 30 years or so!

Bugler

Dribble some green Loc-tite on it. It isn't as strong as blue or red but it wick onto the threads by itself.

Archived