SASS Wire Forum

SliXshot; failure to POP

Ol Number4

Well, after seeing a few comments on the wire about some failure to fire and hard to seat caps on the new SliXshot nipples, I decided to see if I could replicate the situation.

I must confess that today I found one!

I have shot my 1860 44cal. pistols for the past seven (7) weeks at six shoots totaling over 40 shots per pistol without any cleaning. Not any brushing of the nipples, NO cleaning at all. No bore brush, no hammer face brush, no sonic dip, nothing. I realized it was a nasty way to treat my friends the Colts but....

I needed to see if the comments had any foundation. They did,

After all this shooting, today I had ONE failure to fire, I did have a hard time seating the cap from my Ted Cash capper, plus the added push with a flattened dowel. I shot the first shot, the second shot and then a simple "clunk", and not even a "PoP". I shot the other two rounds and then manually indexed the 'dead' cylinder. It went off on the scond try. KaBoom.

After this stage I really looked at the nipples and discovered that for sure they were a bit crudded up. Not wanting to feign ignorance or ackowledge defeat, I reloaded (without any further cleaning or service) and tried another stage. This time I used the Ted Cash capper and really pushed with my flat dowel to fully seat the caps on the nipples. At the buzzer...... I drew the istols and ALL ten went off as expected.

Yes, the nipples will result in failure to fire. And, I discovered under which conditions they will do so. 1) poor maintenance and, 2) improper seating.

Thank you all who were concerned and sent a comment. I hope this report will lead most of you to the situation where you will experience the success I have enjoyed with these new nipples. Just take care of them and your pistols.

BTW: I will be cleaning them thoroughly tomorrow.

Ol' #4

Well, after seeing a few comments on the wire about some failure to fire and hard to seat caps on the new SliXshot nipples, I decided to see if I could replicate the situation.

I must confess that today I found one!

I have shot my 1860 44cal. pistols for the past seven (7) weeks at six shoots totaling over 40 shots per pistol without any cleaning. Not any brushing of the nipples, NO cleaning at all. No bore brush, no hammer face brush, no sonic dip, nothing. I realized it was a nasty way to treat my friends the Colts but....

I needed to see if the comments had any foundation. They did,

After all this shooting, today I had ONE failure to fire, I did have a hard time seating the cap from my Ted Cash capper, plus the added push with a flattened dowel. I shot the first shot, the second shot and then a simple "clunk", and not even a "PoP". I shot the other two rounds and then manually indexed the 'dead' cylinder. It went off on the scond try. KaBoom.

After this stage I really looked at the nipples and discovered that for sure they were a bit crudded up. Not wanting to feign ignorance or ackowledge defeat, I reloaded (without any further cleaning or service) and tried another stage. This time I used the Ted Cash capper and really pushed with my flat dowel to fully seat the caps on the nipples. At the buzzer...... I drew the istols and ALL ten went off as expected.

Yes, the nipples will result in failure to fire. And, I discovered under which conditions they will do so. 1) poor maintenance and, 2) improper seating.

Thank you all who were concerned and sent a comment. I hope this report will lead most of you to the situation where you will experience the success I have enjoyed with these new nipples. Just take care of them and your pistols.

BTW: I will be cleaning them thoroughly tomorrow.

Ol' #4

OK.... now try it using Black Powder! ;)

Snakebite

Actually all things made by man or machine has tolerance ranges and even imperfections within those ranges. Sometimes things happen for little more reason than a stack-up of tolerance variations happening at just that moment someone happened to hold their mouth a certain way. I received my two sets of SliXshot nipples, along with my SliXshot Lever Extension and can say is that they are beautifully made. Right after installing them I worked up a deal to get that pair of guns converted to cartridge so now I will have to wait a short spell to try those new nipples out. I do not expect perfection, though some act like it should be possible, but I always considered the value of a good product could best be judged by the way a company handles the problems that arise, no matter how rare. I would bet that the guns we put these on are actually held to less of a standard than are the add ons and this just might send out false notions.

Slowhand.

I agree with you that the pisols are not held nearly as close to tolerance as our Nipples. We used four Old Armies to get a tolerance for the nipples. Guess what? None of the four had the same cylinder breech clearance! Neither could we swap cylinders between the four. I am with "Murphy" on one, "interchangeable parts, don't"

Just as a side note, the Pietta's we used were as close as any manufactured pistol to holding 'interchangeability' on the cylinders and consistency for breech clearance. Good luck to all who shoot these soot guns.

Snakebite, I was actually using GOEX Cowboy powder. I'll try to find a better, cruddier propellant later/

Ol' #4

I ran 30 shots (6 stages worth for those who can't do the new math) through each of a pair of 1860 Pietta 44s sporting Slix-Shot Nipples yesterday, using 24 grains of Goex under a .457 ball, and lighting them off with (GASP!!) CCI #11 caps,and had zero problems.

Zero.

I ran 30 shots (6 stages worth for those who can't do the new math) through each of a pair of 1860 Pietta 44s sporting Slix-Shot Nipples yesterday, using 24 grains of Goex over a .457 ball, and lighting them off with (GASP!!) CCI #11 caps,and had zero problems.

Zero.

Powder over the ball? :lol: How did that work out? :lol::lol:

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

With the exception of a weee blast of air through the nipples I,ve had NO problems whatsoever.Good invention.

Just to be fair.

I shot Missouri State and CaC with no cleaning on my 1860 Armys. TRESO nipples or as Mr. Colt called them, "tubes".

Archived