SASS Wire Forum

Wax bullets

Russ T. Sites

:FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/> :FlagAm:/>

Okie is right about his choice in primer powered bullets.

I really like them C&R wax bullets too! :wub:/>

A little OT:

There used to be an outfit that made reuseable wasp-waisted black rubber bullets too.

I don't recollct their name. Gil Hebard Guns used to sell them. And they are GREAT!

MG

Edit---I think they are X-Ring brand.

Wax bullets are easy and cheap to make using canning parafin found in your local supermarket. The parafin is sold in packages that contain three blocks each. Using your UNPRIMED case like a cookie-cutter, press it through one of the blocks. You will see a wax plug in the case. Some folks seat the plug down next to the primer, but I have found it doesn't make any difference in the performance. When you are ready to shoot, take a hand priming tool and prime each case (don't prime before you are ready to shoot the rounds). DO NOT load any powder - use only primers.

One of the most important preparation tasks is to enlarge (very slightly) the primer holes in each case. If you don't do this, the primers will back-out and jam your gun. I use a 1/16 inch drill bit. However, mark and separate these cases and NEVER use them to load LIVE ammo again.

Wax bulldets so loaded are accurate for safe practicing in the gharage, or indoors. However, make sure you use a suitable bullet stop like and old blanket hung on a clothes line. The wax bullets will penetrate glass (as in windows) and will riccochet if you shoot at a blank wall. Using empty aluminum soft drink cans is a real demonstration of the power these rounds have. You will think the can was hit with a .44 magnum as it will literally turn the can inside out. If you hit a person with one of these, they will remember it for a long time, so be careful.

If you are careful, shooting wax bullets can be a lot of fun and can be done for slightly more than the cost of the primers. It's a great way to teach novices how to handle a gun without all the noise and recoil of live ammunition.

Lastly, it's obvious wax bullets only work in revolvers so don't try them in your Glock. Happy trails, Squint

I think the case is actually where you should spend your time researching. The idea of shooting smaller than bore size wax bullets is a winning idea that will really increase your practice sessions. It is also now possible to practice with your rifle and wax (YMMV) when using the right brass, in the right calibers. How bout the shotgun and brass, very do-able for the double and should even be possible for the pumps and '87s with some extra effort. Wax shooting is fine after you reduce the residue problems with the right brass.

Mustang, I have used the Hornady (I think) plastic bullets but never got around to the rubber ones. Do they reload enuff times to make them cost effective? I think the performance of all of these would benefit greatly with the addition of cases that reduce calibers below bore diameter and often allow shotgun primers for rifle or larger caliber bullets.

Is there any down side as far a wax build up in the barrel

Howdy Russ T, as a CFDA shooter I can tell you without frequent cleaning it soon becomes a smooth bore and accurace goes to the wind. Also the cases (primer pockets) must be prepared for wax, or cases already made for wax need to be purchased. IMHO for SASS, you will get better practice results from dry fire and sticky notes on the wall then you will with wax bullets. Good Luck :)/>

ps, frequent cleaning for fast draw is nothing more than a quick shoot of Ballistol (or WD 40..etc) down the barrel, a 20ga bore brush, followed with a dry patch after 5-10 rounds.

For clean up after the match I use a hair dryer to heat the barrel, then with an Otis cable pull a .45 brush with a patch on it, the wax comes out in one pull. Good Luck

Jefro :ph34r:/> Relax-Enjoy

Howdy Russ T, as a CFDA shooter I can tell you without frequent cleaning it soon becomes a smooth bore and accurace goes to the wind. Also the cases (primer pockets) must be prepared for wax, or cases already made for wax need to be purchased. IMHO for SASS, you will get better practice results from dry fire and sticky notes on the wall then you will with wax bullets. Good Luck :)/>/>

ps, frequent cleaning for fast draw is nothing more than a quick shoot of Ballistol (or WD 40..etc) down the barrel, a 20ga bore brush, followed with a dry patch after 5-10 rounds.

For clean up after the match I use a hair dryer to heat the barrel, then with an Otis cable pull a .45 brush with a patch on it, the wax comes out in one pull. Good Luck

Jefro :ph34r:/>/> Relax-Enjoy

+1.. and if you want to quickly clean after a match just load a regular cowboy round and pull the trigger... clean as a whistle.;)/>

you can also get an inexpensive bullet mold of your favorite bullet from lee and "Cast" bullets out of hot glue. drill out the primer pockes as others have stated for wax, and shoot them with just a primer. pick up the glue bullet off the ground and just place it back in a primed case and shoot again. as with wax you will want a bullet stop like a hanging blanket. I have run wax and glue over a Cronograph and seen numbers as high as 550 FPS from both with just a primer so be careful. the 4 rules of gun safty still apply. but it is fun to practice in your garage, and I have gotten people hooked on SASS with just a revolver and some glue bulletts in my garage before

Archived