SASS Wire Forum

Another cap and ball question

Horace Patootie, SASS #35798

I have bought a used Pietta '51 Navy ( steel frame) . I'm assuming it is stock. What are the best percussion caps for this gun? Also, I have on hand some "cartridge grade " BP. Will this work in my revolver?

Thanks,

Horace

With stock nipples I would use Remington #11 caps....however were it me I would purchase a set of Treso nipples and use Remington #10 caps and be done with it. Reliability will sky rocket as will your enjoyment of this fine revolver!

I usually use FFFG powder instead of cartridge....

Bugler

I have not been doing C+B long, but have NEVER had a failure to fire with the same recipe by Bugler. Might consider Slix nipples, I have two cylinders with each and both seem excellent. I would add I use Remington #10s most of the time.

Enjoy ,its a blast!

Caprock

With stock nipples I would use CCI #11 caps....however were it me I would purchase a set of Treso nipples and use CCI #10 caps and be done with it. Reliability will sky rocket as will your enjoyment of this fine revolver!

I usually use FFFG powder instead of cartridge....

Bugler

I find the Remington #10 caps to fit better and be more reliable. I agree that the stock nipples are less than desirable. Some people like the new SlixShot nipples but I haven't tried tham. I still like the old reliable Treso nipples. Enjoy your new gun. ...Warning...You may get hooked and want to shoot frontiersman from now on.

Are you really sure you want to do this?

An 1851...the gateway gun...it leads to more cap and ball guns and casting your own balls and tinkering with nipples and internal springs and loading black powder into shotgun shells and rifle cartridges and experimenting with different lubes and wads and fillers and cleaning solutions and slim jim holsters and soot under your fingernails and your wife complaining about the smell of Ballistol...

This could lead to madness. :D:o

An 1851...the gateway gun...it leads to more cap and ball guns and casting your own balls and tinkering with nipples and internal springs and loading black powder into shotgun shells and rifle cartridges and experimenting with different lubes and wads and fillers and cleaning solutions and slim jim holsters and soot under your fingernails and your wife complaining about the smell of Ballistol...

J-Bar is right. You'd better just give the new '51 to me. ;)

This is a treasure trove of information! I won't shoot it it in CAS. A friend got me interested in SCV / Civil War. Mostly research of veterans of both sides who do not have a headstone, then applying for one from the VA, placing the stones, and often a dedication by members in full uniform and firing of rifle salutes ( blank charges) . I now have full uniform and accouterments and a Enfield rifle. I decided I needed this pistol too. :D

Having one ALWAYS leads to more.....then you will want to shoot them in a SASS match...you will soon find out that they are a hoot.....Just warning ya'!!

Bugler

J-Bar is absolutely correct. You may be only looking to complete a uniform/persona for reenacting now; but, sooner or later you will yield to the sirens call of the darkside.

Cartridge is perfectly alright to use.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Horace

Yea, Them 51's are adictive I Have Two that sat in a display case for ten years and I decided to try Plainsman.

H&R is with gun smith,

'51's both got Nate Kiowa Action jobs

Both got Slix Nipples

Then I went to Cabells

20.00 for 100 Pyrodex pellets

15.00 for 100 Hornady Round balls

8.00 for 100 #10 Caps

Plus wonder wads.

Over 21.50 to load 50 rounds...

Higher than Loading 45 LC's

But I thought...... Can't do it agin if I never did it before!

Sure will be fun to shoot though!

Now I need to load up some 38's and BP Shotgun shells and try my hand at FC Duelest!

While "Cartridge" is acceptable... they don't make it any more. So... if you load it in cartridges, you may want to just get a lb of 3f for the revolver and keep the Cartridge for those applications that do better with the extra coatings/etc, on that powder.

I have 4 '51s and use Rem #10s for both stock nipples and the Tresos. I've had mine "Rugerized" with coil hand springs and the "Manhatten" conversion that narrows the hammer slot. While I still get the occasional split cap, none get back into the action. Thanks again, Rowdy!

Both mods are "de rigeur", IMO!

I have two Pietta 51's. One is earlier manufacture than the other. Cylinders won't interchange but nipples are the same. I have two spare cylinders for the newer one. Without pinching (not the best idea) the caps, I can't get anything but CCI #10's to stay in place reliably on any of them, including my two Pietta 58's with three spare cylinders a piece.(all have stock nipples) The CCI's are very tight to get on but I loose 3 or 4 Remmington #10's a match. Pietta 51's have enough challenges to reliability to have to worry about loose caps. I definitely recommend the CCI's. In fact I gave all my Remmington caps away in frustration.

SS

p.s. Heed the warnings on addiction. Put it this way: I started with just one '51 (read above and do the math) :blink:

all have stock nipples)

I believe this is the problem right here. Stock nipples don't seem to be consistant enough to reliabley hold the caps in place.

Archived