SASS Wire Forum

Just Got Through Watching

Persuader, SASS # 74492

I read somewhere that some time after the movie came out that Bruce Dern said that he wished he'd never accepted the part because he became known as the man who murdered the Duke and he couldn't get roles in westerns for quite a while. True or not typecasting does happen in Hollyweird and Dern is usually cast as a scumbag.

It also has a line CLOSE to one always attributed to JW but never proven. The line is "It's a hard life, even harder if your stupid."

In the Cowboys Asa says "You're a hard man Mr. Anderson." JW replies "It's a hard life."

Probably my favorite John Wayne movie. The scene with Mr. Natlinger and the "soiled doves" was great.

Guest Jess Money

It also has a line CLOSE to one always attributed to JW but never proven. The line is "It's a hard life, even harder if your stupid."

In the Cowboys Asa says "You're a hard man Mr. Anderson." JW replies "It's a hard life."

Remember the scene where Asa asks Jebediah Nightlinger if he has any words before they hang him. Mr. Nightlinger prays and in the last sentence he says: "Forgive me for those men I have killed...and for those I'm about to."

Ya just gotta love it!

Remember the scene where Asa asks Jebediah Nightlinger if he has any words before they hang him. Mr. Nightlinger prays and in the last sentence he says: "Forgive me for those men I have killed...and for those I'm about to."

Ya just gotta love it!

Yep, my favorite line from the movie. Also liked the scene when the kid screamed and rode off after being "invited" back by the soiled dove.

I understand that Dern recieved death threats after the movie hit the screen.

Yep, its one of my favorite JW movies too. An Bruce Dern says on the DVD of it that he wishes he never had taken the part.......... he said that JW fans have hated him ever since.

I also read somewhere that JW seriously injured BD's back when he slammed him into the tree. And that JW was toasted when they filmed the scene. He didn't want to be killed off and argued with the director about it.

Yep, my favorite line from the movie. Also liked the scene when the kid screamed and rode off after being "invited" back by the soiled dove.

I understand that Dern recieved death threats after the movie hit the screen.

When John Wayne informed Bruce Dern that Dern's character would shoot Wayne's, he told Dern that audiences would hate him for it. Dern responded by saying, "Yeah, but they'll sure love me in Berkeley." from IMDB.com

Archived