SASS Wire Forum

Need Help............mod 97 extended mag tube............?

Wolf Wind-Walker #36748

Ok.......not CAS related..but it is CAS gun related..............

I shot my first 3 gun match this past Saturday.............

Used a borrowed Colf AR..............my wifes XDM 5.25 9mm and my trusty 97.......

Now folks I got to tell you..it was fun.........and the other folks shooting were jealous of my 97..they said it looked real cool...... :D especially when I told them it was 109 yrs old....... :FlagAm:

I even came in first on 1 stage beating all the other folks in my category......BA ( stands for Bad Axx) and the reason I cam in first was my 97........... :wub: and 2nd overall on that stage........... B)

OK - to the point............

I would like to take my other 97 and put an extended mag tube on it to hold 7 or 8 in the tube ......and then one in the chamber........which would give me a total of 8 or 9 rds....... :o

So - anybody know of any mag tubes that fit a 97 which are longer........??

Thanks for all the help.......regards..Wolf

PS: tonight is out first Steel Challenge.........shot anything ya want..even a SASS category....... :ph34r:

Wolfie, I also started shooting 3gun here with my '97. Beat everybody on the SG stages where there was some movement. However, to be competitive in T or TO you need a semi. Pumps are only competitive in HM category. I bought a Mossberg 930 added a Nordic +6 tube. cheap and SWEET. I still win all the SG stages. If anyone could cut and weld together two '97 tubes and make it work it would be TL. If he can do it, I would be interested. I would put one on a Model 12 for HM category. Let me know what he says.

Thanks Bugs........but I need to go bigger....... :D

Happy Jack....................talked to TL this morning before I posted.....he tried welding 2 tubes together but could not get it to work because of his welder.......too hot.

I will keep looking and will let you know if I come up with anything........

Regards.......Wolf

Ok.......not CAS related..but it is CAS gun related..............

I shot my first 3 gun match this past Saturday.............

Used a borrowed Colf AR..............my wifes XDM 5.25 9mm and my trusty 97.......

Now folks I got to tell you..it was fun.........and the other folks shooting were jealous of my 97..they said it looked real cool...... :D especially when I told them it was 109 yrs old....... :FlagAm:

I even came in first on 1 stage beating all the other folks in my category......BA ( stands for Bad Axx) and the reason I cam in first was my 97........... :wub: and 2nd overall on that stage........... B)

OK - to the point............

I would like to take my other 97 and put an extended mag tube on it to hold 7 or 8 in the tube ......and then one in the chamber........which would give me a total of 8 or 9 rds....... :o

So - anybody know of any mag tubes that fit a 97 which are longer........??

Thanks for all the help.......regards..Wolf

PS: tonight is out first Steel Challenge.........shot anything ya want..even a SASS category....... :ph34r:

I think the only way to extend the tube would be to cut it and cut another one and weld the two together. I know of a great welder here in Orange County Calif. I do have a Winchester '97 mag tube that could be used. I would use yours for the bottom because the interrupted threads already fit the receiver and the top part of mine with the cap and screws and pin.

You would also have to cut two little notches in the bottom of your barrel where the clamp screws hold the mag tube to the barrel.

It needs this done so as not to slip up and down the barrel while shooting. Or you could just try it in the original location and see if it works OK. P.M. me if you want to try this.

Jake

If you want to shoot a pump, just get an 870 and buy the already existing mag tube extensions available for 870s.

I have an 870 set up and an 1187 depending on what category I feel like shooting in on any particular day.

Yeah, they're "old school" but so am I and they work just fine.

It would probably be a whole lot easier to start with a solid frame model 97. You would need some pipe/tubing, have some one silver solder on the slide stop, thread the tube, drill the 3 tube holes and notch the barrel nearer the muzzke. I have a Chinese 97 with factory chokes that seems to have thicker barrel all the way to the muzzle. This might be better for notching.

I agree that the COOL FACTOR would be over the top to have an extended mag on a 97 , but for practicality by the time you had one built , you could probably have bought an FN or a Benelli.

I also just started dinking with three-gun , and am using a Remington 1100. Loading the shotgun on the clock is an exercise in futility for me. :lol:

Good luck , Rex :D

A thin sleeve over the joint between the two cut tubes (in front of the clamp) and silver soldered, brazed, or spot welded in place could also work....barrel length could present an issue too if the tube needs to extend beyond the end of a previously cut barrel to get the number of rounds desired...I think there would be enough room between the tube and barrel to accommodate a sleeve tho.

I'd also be thinking about extra spring tension pushing past less than perfect cartridge stops once a longer setup was installed and fully loaded with 7 or 8 shells...might not be a problem.

I would think that take down models might be a little easier to mod versus solid frame especially since take down mag tubes are probably easier to come by and it could install without modifying the barrel....could be six of one and half a dozen of another there.

I was thinking Model 12 myself. Even though that is probably a more effective option in a couple of areas, there would be cool factor lost as the 97 has character all it's own and the ability to cock the hammer without racking the slide...handy at times.

Seems like those things could be figured out but might take lotsa effort and trial and error....but then again, rarely does anything good come easy.

I'd love to see this worked out if for no other reason to piss off anti-large capacity mag supporters. ;)

Piece of cake to do actually. It won't be cheap, I'd say around $100.00 plus the cost of either the new piece of tube or another mag tube. You need to get ahold of some spring stock to make a new mag spring as well.

That isn't so bad relative to the cost of everything else in this world.....hell, I can't even fill my tow vehicle up with gas or pay a monthly cell phone bill for that amount of cash. ;)

Thanks a bunch guys......lot's of good info and suggestions..........

I to was thinking of silver solder.......

I also wondered if a current long mag tube from a modern shotgun would work..........as long as the outside and inside diameter were close......

1. then if would be a matter of fitting the thread sleeve into the mag tube....silver solder......??

2. cutting the barrel notch......... or move the magazine band bushing ?

3. and barrel would have to be long enough for the end cap and magazine plug stop......

4. fab new mag spring.......

am I heading in the right direction.......??

and if like suggested before........cutting magazine......I would probably cut in middle and use both good ends and silver solder a piece in teh middle.........

Thanks again for all your help......... I will get with TL (( as he is only 3 min away )) and maybe we can work on this...........

Will keep you posted........regards.....Wolf

A thin sleeve over the joint between the two cut tubes (in front of the clamp) and silver soldered, brazed, or spot welded in place could also work....barrel length could present an issue too if the tube needs to extend beyond the end of a previously cut barrel to get the number of rounds desired...I think there would be enough room between the tube and barrel to accommodate a sleeve tho.

I'd also be thinking about extra spring tension pushing past less than perfect cartridge stops once a longer setup was installed and fully loaded with 7 or 8 shells...might not be a problem.

I would think that take down models might be a little easier to mod versus solid frame especially since take down mag tubes are probably easier to come by and it could install without modifying the barrel....could be six of one and half a dozen of another there.

I was thinking Model 12 myself. Even though that is probably a more effective option in a couple of areas, there would be cool factor lost as the 97 has character all it's own and the ability to cock the hammer without racking the slide...handy at times.

Seems like those things could be figured out but might take lotsa effort and trial and error....but then again, rarely does anything good come easy.

I'd love to see this worked out if for no other reason to piss off anti-large capacity mag supporters. ;)

Brazing or Silver soldering is too hot. You'll open up the silver solder that holds the mag tube together. I don't think you could even heat sink it and make it work.

Brazing or Silver soldering is too hot. You'll open up the silver solder that holds the mag tube together. I don't think you could even heat sink it and make it work.

Good point Colt

I knew there was a seam but didn't know how the original seams were joined. Heat sink with flowing water over a rag wrapped on both sides of the joint might be effective. This is how copper tubes are brazed to expansion valves and heat pump reversing valve assy's in HVAC systems to prevent damage to them during the process...manufacturers don't necessarily use wet rags but just water flow near the joint in more elaborate fixtures. I'm sure it would be a fine line between over heating the tube seam and getting new joint to flow.

Seems like the modern Chinese solid frame tubes (IAC anyway) might be resistance welded or something similar since I couldn't tell a material difference when polishing.....don't know for sure.....I doubt that type of technology was available when the original 97's were produced.

Yes Murdock...........that is it............

OK = call me 435-669-3221 or email me...Sttarrwolf@aol.com and give me all the details......... :D

I knew someone must have already done this............

Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions..........

Regards..Wolf (( whose anticipation level just went up )) Wind-Walker

I have done this before for Durango Kid,(RIP) when he started 3 gun, years ago. Used a mag tube extension with colar, soldered in place, and a barrel band clamp. He used it for a long time. Course these days I would recommend a shogun specifically made for 3 gun matches. Have fun. El Mulo

I had the action slide stop ring successfully removed from an old Win tube by heating with an acetyline(sp) torch until the silver solder melted. The tube had been previously damaged. The tube seam did not come apart.

Have you ever tried the mini (real short) 12 ga shells to see if they work, If not the carrier may be able to be modified to function with these.

Good luck.

Archived