SASS Wire Forum

holsters for 72 Colt open top conversions

Hogleg Hunter

I ordered a pair of 72 Colt Open Top conversions (or should I say back-ordered a pair). :angry: Cimarron promised to get them to me in 60 to 90 days so I have a little while to get some leather. I know the answer to this is probably no but I have to ask. Will these pistols fit the same holsters as the SAA? Also ordered a 58 Remington conversion but with the front site on those I am sure something will have to be made specifically for it.

My .51's and .58's both fit the same open toed holsters. You're mileage may vary. But, from my view of the saddle, the answer would be no. At least until I had the guns in hand.

These would actually be much closer than you might think BUT how heavily will the holsters be constructed? Really stiff heavy holsters and particularly those with metal or plastic skeletons do not lend themselves to re-molding. The real 1860 Armies, with their slightly larger cylinders, can frequently be adapted to a SAA holster that is not overly thick and stiff BUT variations in the different makers patterns can totally nullify this so ya gots to check first or find someone with that sort of experience with the holster you want. I think your factory made conversion will also be slightly beefier than a true conversion built on a bp frame? There are some good custom makers who can make you a pattern that will specifically fit both the Rem and Colt Conv pistols pretty well, its just a blend of the two that leans more to the Remington pattern. I have made a few through the years that had just this need and it has been common enough that Tandy has even sold generic patterns for this.

Good luck with the outfit, guns and holsters, and remember the California Slim Jim ruled supreme in the early days of the conversions.

Most leather holsters (without plastic or metal inserts) can be remolded by immersing them in water for 2 or 3 minutes, putting the pistols in water-tight plastic bags and inserting them into the holsters and letting them air dry for several days. Once dry, polish them with a wax based (neutral or colored) shoe polish. I do this routinely whenever I decide to shoot different pistols in different categories (i.e., from frontiersman with 1851's, 60's, and 61's to frontier cartridge with 1871's or '72 open tops or Richard Mason conversions). I've even done this when switching from "Colts" to Remington 1858's or Ruger Old Army's with reasonable (workable) success.

The Open Tops will ft in the same holster for the Colt SAA. I don't know about the Remington.

As for a particular holster style the Slim Jim is probably the most period correct for that era but there are some really neat other styles to choose from. I find the "Mexican Loop" with a single-loop and half-skirt pattern appealing (Packing Iron, pg.102).

I have Cheyenne style holsters with a toe plug from Old West Reproductions. I use both 7 1/2" SAA's and Opentops in them with no problem. I just checked and the 1858 Remington also fits pretty well though they are used out of Slim Jims also from OWR.

CP

Howdy, Pard,

It is an interesting fact that the original U.S. Army Pattern of 1863 holster would accept both the New Model Remington Army revolver (erroneously referred to as the M1858), the M1860 Colt's Army .44 revolver, and, later, the Colt's "Strap" pistol (aka Colt's Single Action Army Revolver)! Since the SAA didn't come out until 8 years after the CW, it was fortuitous and a money-saver for the Army.

The question is whether a particular modern-made holster will handle the modern rendition of the Remington, with 8-inch barrel, and the SAA, plus your expected M1872 (which are not conversions, BTW). One of the questions is whether the top of the holster comes up high enough to shroud the hammer spur of the two "Colt's", or not. If it does, then some care must be taken to wet-form the top of the holster to accomodate the '72's hammer spur without accidentally cocking or partially cocking the hammer when the gun is holstered. The lack of the topstrap on the '72 may make this necessary. If the holster is cut low enough to expose the hammer spur of the '72, then the gun may move around a bit in the holster. This, too, can be taken care of by wet-forming the leather around the cylinder. The holster body will, undoubtedly need to be formed out around the ejector thumbpiece and the ejector housing on the cartridge guns. Replica M1875 Remingtons sometimes vary in size and shape, and may not fit the same holster as a Colt's SAA.

As was posted, a slim jim or Mexican loop holster would be appropriate for the '72, but the seam/welt cannot be as closely contoured as might have been the case with M1860 Colt's or NM Army Remingtons. The more amorphous contour of the Pattern 1863 military holsters work, rather than the close-contoured shape of some of the slim jim or Pattern 1860 holsters.

Ride easy, but stay alert! Godspeed to those still in harm's way in the defense of Freedom everywhere. God Bless America! :FlagAm:

Your Pard,

I ordered a pair of 72 Colt Open Top conversions (or should I say back-ordered a pair). :angry: Cimarron promised to get them to me in 60 to 90 days so I have a little while to get some leather. I know the answer to this is probably no but I have to ask. Will these pistols fit the same holsters as the SAA? Also ordered a 58 Remington conversion but with the front site on those I am sure something will have to be made specifically for it.

The 1872 was a new, independent design and not a conversion of any earlier design.

I had a pair of holsters made for Ruger Single Sixes and with a tiny bit of wet molding to make room for the wedge, they work perfectly. :)

Archived