SASS Wire Forum

For my Southern Friends

As you may know, I grew up along the banks of the Mississippi river,in South Western Illinois and branched out to South East Missouri. That was a long time ago. Living in that part of the country, I learned to fish and hunt frogs. We fished for catfish, crappie, and blue gills mostly. Maybe a bass if we got lucky.

Now there are lots of newcomers to the waterways, like the Asian Carp, and Snakeheads. Heck fir, I ain't hardly heard of a snake head let alone seen one, until I saw a guy catching and cleaning them on U Tube. Other than being ugly thangs, it looked like the meat was white and lots of it. Anybody ever had them for lunch?

Not a big fan of Thai food. Maybe that is why I had not seen it on the menu. Just because I don't care for Thai

food I guess it doesn't make it (snakehead fish) non edible. But boy are they ugly. But then again, so is Squeaky

I think ya cook 'em like to do a carp....you place a carp on a pine board, cook at 350 for 1 hour, then throw the carp away and eat the pine board.... :lol:

Not a big fan of Thai food. Maybe that is why I had not seen it on the menu. Just because I don't care for Thai

food I guess it doesn't make it (snakehead fish) non edible. But boy are they ugly. But then again, so is Squeaky

Don't look now, but Squeaky left you a 'prize' on your front lawn. Careful walking barefoot.

YO, BMC

I visited my mother-in-law in East Prairie, MO, this past week, and had a great rib dinner at 19 Water Street in Cape Girardeau. The spillway that was flooded last year when the Corp of Engineers blew the Bird's Point levee has all been replanted, but virtually no one has moved back into that area. They live in towns behind the second levee and commute to work in the fields. Brother Bennett's store got flooded out in Dorena, but he has moved back next to the old building, living in an RV. Ten Mile Pond is dry, no waterfowl to be seen.

My brother-in-law and I used to fish for bream in a jon-boat in the bayou by Wolf Island, but it has been years, and the flood last year followed by the drought this year has made it difficult.

But the dry-rub ribs at Port Cape Girardeau were excellent! Grant slept there, you know. Well, passed out, mebbe... ;)

YO, BMC

I visited my mother-in-law in East Prairie, MO, this past week, and had a great rib dinner at 19 Water Street in Cape Girardeau. The spillway that was flooded last year when the Corp of Engineers blew the Bird's Point levee has all been replanted, but virtually no one has moved back into that area. They live in towns behind the second levee and commute to work in the fields. Brother Bennett's store got flooded out in Dorena, but he has moved back next to the old building, living in an RV. Ten Mile Pond is dry, no waterfowl to be seen.

My brother-in-law and I used to fish for bream in a jon-boat in the bayou by Wolf Island, but it has been years, and the flood last year followed by the drought this year has made it difficult.

But the dry-rub ribs at Port Cape Girardeau were excellent! Grant slept there, you know. Well, passed out, mebbe... ;)

No doubt about it, J Bar. Cape is a great town. I spent my misspent yout there. They tore down the old bridge across the Mississippi some years ago. I got to see it just before the new bridge was complete. I wish I had a nickel for each time I crossed on that bridge. Boy it was narrow though. I believe it was built for Model A's and such.

I remember when the river would flood the stores along the waterfront and they would have to put all of the merchandise on scaffolds. Of course folks didn't shop during the floods but what a mess to clean up. Still have family there. Boy does that bring up some memories. :)

Archived