SASS Wire Forum

Not ezactly cowboy, but close

Fiddling with my M1 Garand today, I decided that maybe I should reload some 150 grains bullets.

The Walkers are coming you know.

Looking at the H 4895 and Varget powders. I have an adjustable gas cylinder plug but I am going

with GI Issue.

Anybody working with these two powders in an M 1?

BMC

I run BL2C , 4350 , and 4895 for that , set up my loads at around 2700 fps

use the same loads in the bolt guns :)

CB

Iz that H4895 or IMR 4895? I understand that they are slightly different and the H4895 was used by the military.

BMC

have used both , the origional powder for the M1 was 4350 (IMR). I have been fooling around with ACC AXMR 4350 in several differant calabiers .

Acc has brought it back , I am relly likeing how it loads and is pretty constant .

I load for a bunch of old and arcane cals , there are several of the folks I shoot with , that have LOTS of old WARHORSES .

CB

DO NOT USE IMR 4350 in Garands. You WILL bend your op rod...

I know...

CH

The Gerand , is one of the youngans , in the safe :blink:

CB

BMC

you fool around with Walleyes , being up in the Great Norwet ,

What is the best way to get them little Y bones out , the ones that be in the lateral line ? :huh:

Cleaned one the other day about 27 in or so , is hor I found out about em , they recentaly put a bunch in the lake here , about 4 to 5 years ago .

I am thinking a V cut on each side of the lateral line , kinda like ya do a catfish . I relly do not fish for the walleyes , but I will catch one every nor and then .

BTW our Regs say they have to be better than 18 in to keep .

CB

I have used IMR 4895 since the 70s for both my M1A, and my M1 Garand loading. We shoot out to 200 yds, and can say, extremely accurate and for me clean. For the matches we shoot 20 rounds for the match, and these rounds are loaded 1 at a time, were the practice rounds are not. Using 100yd targets, I have put all 20 into the bullseye. If there is a flyer, its my fault. I've tried some other powder on the practice rounds, but don't get the consistency in grouping.

Just my experience, MT

ya never know what has happened to a OLDER firearm

Older? OLDER? What are you calling "older"? :P

My Garand :wub: may be a little long in the tooth, but she'll still stand toe-to-toe with just about anything made in the last twenty years. :D

AMEN, BROTHER!

CH

The Gerand , is one of the youngans , in the safe :blink:

CB

BMC

you fool around with Walleyes , being up in the Great Norwet ,

What is the best way to get them little Y bones out , the ones that be in the lateral line ? :huh:

Cleaned one the other day about 27 in or so , is hor I found out about em , they recentaly put a bunch in the lake here , about 4 to 5 years ago .

I am thinking a V cut on each side of the lateral line , kinda like ya do a catfish . I relly do not fish for the walleyes , but I will catch one every nor and then .

BTW our Regs say they have to be better than 18 in to keep .

CB

Never fished for walleye CB. They are in the lakes and rivers in Eastern Wash, but I have never fished for them.

The live deep, for the most part, and getting a fly line down there is a chore. Would love to try them tho. Maybe this summer I can make a run over to Banks Lake and try my hand at it.

In answer to your question, I did see a short clip on U tube about a guy cleaning wall eye. You might want to toggle that and see what he did. I think he removed the bone with a "V" cut.

I have used IMR 4895 since the 70s for both my M1A, and my M1 Garand loading. We shoot out to 200 yds, and can say, extremely accurate and for me clean. For the matches we shoot 20 rounds for the match, and these rounds are loaded 1 at a time, were the practice rounds are not. Using 100yd targets, I have put all 20 into the bullseye. If there is a flyer, its my fault. I've tried some other powder on the practice rounds, but don't get the consistency in grouping.

Just my experience, MT

What kind of muzzle velocity are we talking about Marshal?

I believe there is a difference between the IMR 4895 and the H 4895, but I do not know what it is.

I also have a goodly supply the the military primers.

BMC,

I've only been shooting and reloading for an M1 for a few years, but I've had good advice from others I shoot with in CMP and NRA High Power.

If you don't have it, get the 7th edition Hornady reloading handbook. They have a chapter strictly for the M1 Garand. As pressure and velocity are key to reliability and performance in this rifle, it's a great sorce of information.

For the 150 gr bullet, they list 7 different powders. H335, AA2495, AA2520, Viht N-135, RL-12, Varget and H4895.

The 168 gr bullet is used a lot in match shooting, and there are even more powder choices. I've used a few, but settled on W748 with the Nozzler 168 gr Custom Comp bullet for my match ammo. I've found no residue in the barrel even after the full match.

For long range, many shooters use a 178 gr bullet, and Hornady lists 10 powders for this bullet as well.

Both IMR 4895 and H 4895 are listed, and powder charge weights don't very much more than .2 gr between these powders. So which ever you have, you'll find it works just fine. But get the book! I'ts a great source of information. :FlagAm:

Dutchman

Thanks Dutchman.

I spoke with Hodgdon the other day and asked about Varget vs H 4895. The fellow on the other end of the line said that either was good but he prefered the H4895. Since this is a work in progress, I have some IMR 4895 that I will try. I tend to load on the low end of the recommeded loads. But that manual seems to be in order first.

I also have an adjustable gas plug. That should help some.

Archived