SASS Wire Forum

Well my curiosity got the better of me.

Dorado

If you recall there were a couple of questions regarding hardtack a couple of weeks ago. Well I got curious and made a batch. Wow, that was a mistake. They didn't taste that bad, a little butter and jam goes a long way, but man were they hard. I didn't realize that boot leather was actually softer than hardtack. I think I chipped a tooth. :lol: <--Kinda like that! However I am going to keep a couple and do some experiments on them. So far I think I can use them to knock out a deer or something. I broke one up and have it sitting on the porch for the birds. They've pecked at it, one of the blackbirds put a piece in the dog's water. I guess the bird's trying to soften it up. He keeps picking it up and putting it back. Hope he doesn't choke on it. lol

At any rate I've developed a respect for those that actually had to live off this stuff.

I'd test it's armor qualities but I'm worried about ricochets. lol

Perhaps it could be tested as a building material or as bullet proof armor.

I'd test it's armor qualities but I'm worried about ricochets. lol

There are reports from the War of Northern Aggression that some men were saved when the Minie' ball struck the hardtack they had in their tunic pocket. One enterprising soul got a case of it and built a tile porch in front of his winter quarters with it.

Break it up on a flat rock with the butt of your rifle and use it to thicken a soup or stew. Or fry it up in the grease rendered out of your salt pork. Add some onion if you have it.

You have successfully reproduced an American tradition. :lol:

Now imagine having to live on that, salt beef, bacon, coffee, and whatever greens you could dig out of the ground and it's no wonder why the hospitals were full of non combat patients.

You have successfully reproduced an American tradition. :lol:

Now imagine having to live on that, salt beef, bacon, coffee, and whatever greens you could dig out of the ground and it's no wonder why the hospitals were full of non combat patients.

And mostly green, rancid meat at that. The best protein was likely from the flour beetles infesting the hardtack. I've often marveled at the toughness of WWII servicemen under duress but the WONA just had to be ten kinds of hell on earth. Plus they lined right up and marched in close rank right into artillery and massed musketry fire.

We've a lot to be thankful for!

Havin' eattin it in da distanat pass, I can say,

You can drive a railroad spike through a green oak tree ! :blink:

Reading about it has brought forth that notion that it was broken up and added to the coffee that boiled at every chance. I also larned that the Northern army had the first instant coffee of sorts. It was ground coffee beans to a powder and sugar and dried milk was added. I have no idea how they dried milk.

Reading about it has brought forth that notion that it was broken up and added to the coffee that boiled at every chance. I also larned that the Northern army had the first instant coffee of sorts. It was ground coffee beans to a powder and sugar and dried milk was added. I have no idea how they dried milk.

Dehydrated cows of course! :)

Southerners drank chicory, ground up acorns, and mostly did without.

There is an excellent book, "Hardtack and Coffee" by John Billings. Written post-bellum, it is his recollection of the daily life of a soldier during that war. It is available to read online, or download to your ereader, Kindle, or other such device: http://archive.org/details/hardtackcoffee00bill

Hey Joe,

Really nice to see ya back.

Thanks, Paladin. A friend gave us an HP Mini laptop - not a loan, an out and out gift. The parish priest has a wireless thing so we can piggy back on that. Not the fastest or biggest, but, hey, we can connect and the price is right. Beats going to the library were we have a total usage of one hour per day. Can't even do a decent job or housing search in that amount of time.

I think goober peas was a staple in the Southern soldier's diet.

I think parched corn more than pinders, BMC. They were great when they had 'em, but at the time the growing area was fairly small. I haven't found very many references to them in diaries, letters, or reports. Corn, on the other hand, was grown and dried just about everywhere.

You know it's kinda funny how much respect you gain for people when you try something that they had to do for daily survival.

And Joe I hope things turn around for you. I'm wishing you the best. Oh if you need something to eat I've got some hardtack. lol

You know it's kinda funny how much respect you gain for people when you try something that they had to do for daily survival.

And Joe I hope things turn around for you. I'm wishing you the best. Oh if you need something to eat I've got some hardtack. lol

Thanks, Dorado. Even as rough as things are for us at the moment, we have shelter, we have food, we have use of the restrooms and the kitchen in the church hall (brand new, commercial grade kitchen too!), the choir director has a small apartment on site and is letting us use his shower, we have health insurance. Taking a broad view we are better off than 75% of the people alive on the Earth right now.

Hardtack? I'll take it! If you use a vegetable based ink you can just write my address on it, slap on a stamp and mail it. REAL hardtack will make it through the postal system unscathed. :lol:

I'm pretty sure this would make it through alright. Their machines might not like it but the hardtack would be just fine. I'd like to try a couple of things with it before I go off and decided it's not worth the trouble making it. But I will admit I can see why they made it this way. It's easy to pack, long lasting, durable. If I can find a way to make it edible I might make more.

I think goober peas was a staple in the Southern soldier's diet.

Goodness how delicious! :)

Archived