SASS Wire Forum

.308 surplus ammo..Malaysian and Portugese

Howdy Pards,

Bought me a new toy last week, a PTR 91, basically an American made HK 91. This is my first .308, been shopping around for some cheap ammo. I've seen Portugese and Malaysian ammo at very nice prices, but haven't seen much detail or feedback on it. Anybody have any experience with these? Wolf and Brown/Silver Bear is cheap, but have heard bad stuff about the laquered cases gumming up the chamber and being difficult to remove. Supposedly the polymer coated cases are much better, but most of the cheap Russian stuff is still listed as laquered.

Any info appreciated.

Sus amigo,

JHC

Bought some of that stuff a while ago, works fine. Only thing I didn't like was the cases didn't have a regular primer pocket. Mine had two little holes instead of one big one. I didn't feel like going through the hassle of reloading those cases.

Otherwise it was all good.

Bought some of that stuff a while ago, works fine. Only thing I didn't like was the cases didn't have a regular primer pocket. Mine had two little holes instead of one big one. I didn't feel like going through the hassle of reloading those cases.

Otherwise it was all good.

Those are Berdan primed. Bought several thousand rounds of this ammo, no problem. I have a HK91 original, one problem with it, is it likes to tear (actually pinch) the neck. Have had the 91 since the mid 70s when it first came out, and shot probable 10,000 rounds through it, never a problem. Even the thich cased Israel ammo. MT

Sounds like Berdan primers, pretty common in foreign ammo. I probably won't be doing much loading for this rifle anyway, just looking for some good blasting/stash ammo. The U.S. made stuff is almost twice the price of the cheap stuff. I have a buddy or two who have .308's, may see if they want to split a case of the good stuff to have on hand in case TSHTF. If things got terminal you'd want the best ammo possible I guess. I'm not a crazed doomsdayer, but I do like to keep some stash ammo. Especially for that kinda rifle. Never know when the zombies may attack. :lol:

JHC

I bought 500 rounds of the Portugese stuff after acquiring a sweet M1A. It goes bang, that's about it. I can keep all my shots on a 48" x 48" steel plate at 400 yards. What I like to call hour of angle. :huh:

I bought 500 rounds of the Portugese stuff after acquiring a sweet M1A. It goes bang, that's about it. I can keep all my shots on a 48" x 48" steel plate at 400 yards. What I like to call hour of angle. :huh:

<_< I'm guessing there's a reason it's so cheap. I've only run a box thru it of Silver Bear zinc plated. Shot fine, hard to tell about accuracy. My buddy and I just got them and went out about sundown to plink. Seemed a bit dirty as reputed, but haven't shot anything else thru it so have no other experience to compare.

JHC

I have a G3 and like ALL HK battle rifles anything you can pound in the chamber they will fire and extract. HOWEVER, like with my HK33, I just don't like to run cheap ammo in them. The accuracy is just too poor with many of the imported inexpensive ammunitions. The G3 is a 1.5MOA rifle with M118. Sadly the PTR91 is a far cry from a real HK91, but still a fun firearm. It should run with any of the cheap ammo, but don't expect good accuracy.

I have a CETME and 100 mags so I am always looking for 308. Also have an Ishapore Enfield in 308 that's a hoot to shoot.

If you want some really cheap plinkin' stuff see if Sportsman's Guide still has any of that dirt cheap German PLASTIC 308. Lethal at short range but short range only. Great for short range plinkin' and jacks out to no more than 50 yards. After that it is inaccurate and running out of steam.

I'm tellin' ya that PP Serb stuff is some good stuff. ANNEALED necks now!

I'll have to check these out. i went down the road of loading my own. Its not that hard to make really accurate .308 ammo.

Found this outfit in Idaho that makes remanufactured. Can get soft points for slighly higher. Might order a small quantity to try out.

http://www.freedommunitions.com/product-p/fm308f150r.htm

JHC

I bought a 3200 rd case of 147 gr South African surplus 308. It's great stuff and actually pretty clean. You'll never win any bullseye matches with it but it's fun to shoot. My friends and I challenge each other as to who can walk the stuff in at hit the gongs at 1000yds the quickest. It ain't easy. That 147 gr stuff is flopping all over the place at that distance.

JEL

I can post where I got it when I get home if anyone would like. I don't have the site saved on my IPhone.

Found this outfit in Idaho that makes remanufactured. Can get soft points for slighly higher. Might order a small quantity to try out.

http://www.freedommunitions.com/product-p/fm308f150r.htm

JHC

I have gotten some .223 from them , they work great!

Those 147's are too light for any of my rifles and don't group well. You get what you pay for or just load your own 165's or 180's. Enjoy that new toy!

LL' :FlagAm:

I've shot thousands of rounds of Port in my FALs and they shoot great, but not the most accurate. The best was Australian 7.62, got a k stashed some where.

Archived