SASS Wire Forum

GATHER THE BRAIN CELLS

Texas Ranger chases bad guys

Gun fight starts in thunder storm

Lightening hits 'em.

They wake up 100 years later and start a detective agency in Dallas.

What's the name of the show?

TF

I had forgotten about that show:

Plot

The story begins in Houston, Texas in 1899, as Sheriff Jonathan Grail tried to round up the villainous four-man Pike Gang, of which he had once been a member. After cornering the four-man gang in a stormy Indian graveyard, a bolt of lightning struck all five men - transferring them 87 years forward in time, to 1986. With no way to get back to their original time, the five men worked out a truce, and started a private investigation / detective agency to pay their bills.

During the run of the series, the five men, now working as the "Double Eagle Detection Agency," helped right wrongs, protect the downtrodden, fought off drug lords and gang leaders - all while continuing to operate with 19th-century weaponry, including revolvers and shotguns. Several of the episodes dealt with problems the men faced in the 1880s, and now had to resolve the problems in the 1980s. No one knew of their real identities and most people assumed that their old-style clothing and weapons were an affectation. During their first case they met Lt. Maggie Randall, a Houston detective, who became romantically involved with Grail and friends with the rest of the team, and often helped them.

The series featured crime drama and shootouts, although the heroes never killed anyone thanks to their superior marksmanship. The show also featured humorous moments. The humor derived primarily from the outlaws' unfamiliarity with 20th century technology, as well as the contrast between their 19th century mores and those of the 20th century. Most episodes featured flashbacks, which were done in a sepia tone.

Although the pilot episode was one of the most-watched shows that week, future episodes drew fewer and fewer fans. The series' final episode, in fact, featured a "flashback" scene from another television show, The Oregon Trail, in which Outlaws actors Rod Taylor and Charles Napier both starred.

curley

I do remember that show, but the main thing I remember that was in the long camera shots, they showed all the mountains around Houston...:blink::wacko::huh:-_-

In case you're wondering, the only thing resembling a mountain around Houston is the freeway overpasses....

I liked the YouTube clip. The introduction music reminded me a little of Silverado.

As Laz said, there aren't any mountains around Houston. I can't remember how they got the money for the ranch they lived on either. From what I saw their clothes weren't really period correct either. At the time I didn't know any better. Now I watch for weapons and clothes. Get disappointed when there are too many mistakes.

I do remember that show, but the main thing I remember that was in the long camera shots, they showed all the mountains around Houston...:blink::wacko::huh:-_-

In case you're wondering, the only thing resembling a mountain around Houston is the freeway overpasses....

You mean I can't get on horse back in Houston and arrive in Dallas or El Paso in a couple of hours? I know it Can be done, even saw Selleck do it in a couple of his movies.

Sorry I missed that show, I might have liked it. I think I might like "The Hatfields and McCoys" Memorial Day.

Archived