SASS Wire Forum

Haven't flown with them - and most likely won't.

Nonrefundable fare. That's why they are a low cost airline as I read it.

But, hey, I'm outraged too! That's what the internet is all about after all!

I promise to never fly on an airline that I would never have flown upon anyway!

Nonrefundable fare. That's why they are a low cost airline as I read it.

But, hey, I'm outraged too! That's what the internet is all about after all!

I promise to never fly on an airline that I would never have flown upon anyway!

The Internet can inform and let people in on information. If folks don't like something and maybe boycott or protest something the internet helps get the word out.

BTW: I didn't 'promise' I would do or not do anything...but if you feel compelled to...

GG

That particular promise of mine is worth the cyber it is written in!

I will hazard a guess, though, that the relevant information-- that the fare was non-refundable-- was probably already in the possession of the gent when he bought his ticket.

Somehow this one just fails to move me; the request for the refund, that is, not the unfortunate fact that he's dying....

That particular promise of mine is worth the cyber it is written in!

I will hazard a guess, though, that the relevant information-- that the fare was non-refundable-- was probably already in the possession of the gent when he bought his ticket.

Somehow this one just fails to move me; the request for the refund, that is, not the unfortunate fact that he's dying....

I here ya...but sometimes circumstances can allow a little bend in the rules. That can be applied here IMHO.')

GG

These folks ought to study at the knee of the airline with the best customer service/price ratio in the Universe: Southwest Airlines.

I understand rules. I understand that life doesn't always follow those rules. Spirit Airlines is free to follow their rules to Hell and back if that's their pleasure. Doesn't mean that I'll be flying with them, however.

SQQ

These folks ought to study at the knee of the airline with the best customer service/price ratio in the Universe: Southwest Airlines.

I understand rules. I understand that life doesn't always follow those rules. Spirit Airlines is free to follow their rules to Hell and back if that's their pleasure. Doesn't mean that I'll be flying with them, however.

SQQ

I learned this while laying in a huge flooded rice patty with hot lead flying all around.

"Rules where written in a perfect enviroment. But that enviroment goes to hell as soon as one steps out the door !

To not refund a dying man's ticket, is, IMHO, just un- excussable !

"Spirit Airlines" aint got no Spirit !:angry:

If it's company policy that their airline tickets are non-refundable, I guess he should have taken that into account when he purchased the ticket. I'm sorry that he's dying but if he wanted a refundable airline ticket, he should have paid more for a major airline. He took the discount and took his chances.

You Reap what you Sow.....

I am more than happy to see Spirit, the money grubbers that they are, lose many, many more dollars than what this refund would cost them.

Sure seems that Spirit isn't looked upon so well by passengers anyway...:rolleyes:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/03/spirit-airlines-outpaces-competitors-regarding-passenger-complaints-statistics/

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I despise flying on a commercial carrier, the only one that still somewhat gets it is Southwest.

I have never flown Spirit and never will, spoke with a some folks that did and they get charged for everything. I understand policy and rules, but for $197 the morons could have avoided a ton of negative publicity.

Sometimes the smart decision is too work around the rules.

Being an old fossil, I just do not understand the current marketing philosophy of doing business.

That said, with some 60,000 folks circling around the airports in the US on a regular basis, I doubt that they are worried about getting people to buy a ticket. The law of supply and demand works both ways.

When you have a limited resource you can capitalize on it and charge more, do less, and get richer with less out lay of resources.

When times of plenty are here, you can give more for less money. Either way, a sharp individual can make a buck.

And that, children, is your economics lesson for today.

I despise flying on a commercial carrier, the only one that still somewhat gets it is Southwest.

I have never flown Spirit and never will, spoke with a some folks that did and they get charged for everything. I understand policy and rules, but for $197 the morons could have avoided a ton of negative publicity.

Sometimes the smart decision is too work around the rules.

Yessir! ;)

You can bet it is going to cost them a lot more money in lost time and wages for the PR folks to be in front of the camera trying to justify this stance. A smart or rather prudent CEO would have given him the money, sent a car and driver to get him to his destination and cashed in on the PR from his actions. Now he looks like a smuck and smells like Okie.

I agree, a smart CEO would have gone on T.V. and told the reporters that the man's story touched his heart and he was refunding the man's money out of his own pocket. That way he wouldn't have set the "precedence" that his lawyers warn against. Sometimes you just have to step forward and do what is right. Of course, this would probably open a flood gate of sad stories about why people missed their flights and requesting refunds.

I fly about 120-175,000 actual miles per year, mostly for work at low fares. I've flown with most of the US and international carriers. My yardstick is what/who I will book with for my own personal low cost travel.

I will NOT, NO, NEVER fly Southwest for personal travel. Cattle car mentality and attitude, horrible service.

Given a couple posts above, obviously, YMMV! ;)

Harvey

I agree, a smart CEO would have gone on T.V. and told the reporters that the man's story touched his heart and he was refunding the man's money out of his own pocket. That way he wouldn't have set the "precedence" that his lawyers warn against. Sometimes you just have to step forward and do what is right. Of course, this would probably open a flood gate of sad stories about why people missed their flights and requesting refunds.

Given the circumstances of more sad stories, if he paid out of his pocket, he could simply say no.

No good turn goes unpunished for sure. But those that feel they must take advantage of the situation are legion. Sad but true. Both sides of the coin are tarnished

I saw on the news this morning that Spirit Airlines is charging $100 per carry-on bag!

I saw on the news this morning that Spirit Airlines is charging $100 per carry-on bag!

I wish all airlines would do that! Some people look like gypsies, carrying everything but the kitchen sink onboard. It really delays boarding and unboarding. Just a purse or a briefcase...

I wish all airlines would do that! Some people look like gypsies, carrying everything but the kitchen sink onboard. It really delays boarding and unboarding. Just a purse or a briefcase...

I think it's BS - a person should be allowed (1) carry-on and a purse/briefcase to bring on the plane NO CHARGE. All this extra charging folks after they paid the ticket is crap. If anything they should just incorporate the fee in the ticket itself - like the good ole days. And yes! I want free peanuts too!! :lol:

My pet gripe is the guys that are seated in the front of the plane, always seem to take forever to get their bags stowed overhead, stand in the aisle so nobody else can get on the plane. No wonder it takes forever to get loaded and everybody seated. People seem to be their own worst enemy.

Archived