SASS Wire Forum

Getting my 8 yr old started! Need pistols, leather, clothes

I know there are many options... but planning on going with 22lr for now...

single sixes or bearcats would be great, but leaning towards single sixes over the bearcats as I also have an 11 YO daughter that is showing interest and I think they'll outgrow the bearcats too soon. Would be interested in the less expensive heritages (rough riders?) as well...

Also need a holster rig for him... probably double strong side is the preference but would entertain cross-draw as well. His size is 27" as of now with his sister being a 33"... ideally the rig could fit both to start with..

If you have a pair of inexpensive .32 or .38 pistols with smaller grips, I may be interested... with light loads they won't be much more than 22lr in recoil.

If you have any boots, hats, etc.. that you can let go cheap, I'll get some sizes and add those here... basically he's the average size 2nd grader...

Oh yeah, I plan to cut the stock on the henry 22... anyone got an extra stock for that rifle????

Could also use a spare or cut down stock for a stoeger double or a 97...

Much thanks!

DV

You could try why I did with my daus Henry. She 9 also and just getting started. I drilled two 3/8 in holes deep into the stock after removing the butt plate. Then I cut the stock, this way, I can insert wooden dowels into the holes, glue them, and slide the cutoff stock back onto the stock....making it back to full length. A butt wrap cover will hide the splice in the stock and with the glue and the dowels, it should be almost or as strong as it was before.

Hi DD

Been down this road with Little Rebel, my buckaroo.

Clothes-Check the Salvation Army and Goodwill stores for clothes. You can get an adjustable Rebel or Yankee kepi for $12 at amazon.

Stock Replacement-I had to call Henry today. A replacement youth stock is $50, or you can do like my pard Shayne says.

Revolvers-Let your buckaroo try revolvers before you buy. Unfortunately, we've been through Heritage Arms, Bearcats and the current fit Single Sixes, but I almost wish we would have started with .38/.357 new Vaqueros.

Shotgun-Little Rebel has a 12 Stoeger, but it is a little heavy for him. He is currently shooting a SXS Stoeger .410. If you have access to a .410, I have a 45LC shotshell load I can give to you.

Good Luck!

Tonic

We have some very young shooters around Greensboro. Jeans, long-sleeved shirt, hat and a vest seems to be very popular and looks good. Kinda of like the cowboy in Toy Story.

I have heard several parents who are good shooters say the 97 has less recoil than the SxS, but a single-barrel H&R/NEF topper would be a good gun too. You would definitely want to load shotshells to reduce recoil.

Cimmaron sells some 3/4 size revolvers in .32 and .38 that are very popular.

The gunshop in Colfax and one in Kernesville have good used selections and competitive new prices.

See you on the range.

I called Henry and they sent me a factory second stock for free, even paid the shipping, I cut that one down. Now that is customer service at it's best. I will put the original back on when the kids get bigger.

single sixes or bearcats would be great, but leaning towards single sixes over the bearcats as I also have an 11 YO daughter that is showing interest and I think they'll outgrow the bearcats too soon. Would be interested in the less expensive heritages (rough riders?) as well...

Also need a holster rig for him... probably double strong side is the preference but would entertain cross-draw as well. His size is 27" as of now with his sister being a 33"... ideally the rig could fit both to start with..

If you have a pair of inexpensive .32 or .38 pistols with smaller grips, I may be interested... with light loads they won't be much more than 22lr in recoil.

If you have any boots, hats, etc.. that you can let go cheap, I'll get some sizes and add those here... basically he's the average size 2nd grader...

Oh yeah, I plan to cut the stock on the henry 22... anyone got an extra stock for that rifle????

Much thanks!

DV

I have a couple of Single Sixes, what bbl. length. I may also have a double rig. Also, a M97 Win. Shotgun. in 16 ga. If possible, get #9 shot for this. I've got all of this shooting gear packed up in my garage. It will take me a couple of days to sort it all out, so please bear with me.

Thanks,

Grayson

Thx Dark Ranger!

I called Henry and they sent me a factory second stock for free, even paid the shipping, I cut that one down. Now that is customer service at it's best. I will put the original back on when the kids get bigger.

Called Henry yesterday... $50 for a replacement... but they offered me a blemished stock for $25... not free! But I figured that was fair and bought it... will do what Shayne suggested when I cut it...

Tom - hope to see you at a shoot sometime... thanks for the info... very familiar with both of those shops but prefer GunRack.

Grayson - no problem.. not in a hurry. I'm trying to find an inexpensive 97 stock to cut down so he can try the 97.. would also like to find a stoeger stock to cut down so he can try the dbl... don't want to go single shot if I can get away with it...

Tonic - I hear ya on the guns.. I'd like to give him a fighting chance at starting off with pistols that fit his hands the best they can... but Single Sixes are the same size as NMV and with loaded down 38s I doubt they'd kick much more than the 22lr... but still have the problem with grip size so kind of leaning towards a smaller griped gun to start him off with... we'll see

thx for all the input! DV

I have a rig for sale that would fit both. Just posted it. Its a black Kirkpatrick leather double rig. Let me know if your interested.

Much thanks!

DV

I have a double rig for sale that would fit both. Just posted it tonight. Let me know if your interested.

Much thanks!

DV

DV,

I have located the single-sixes in question and I find them to be in good working order. They are "3-screws" from 5 .5" to 6.5" bbl. length. Also, I have a M97, 16Ga. re-blued. I would like to have $500 ea. plus shipping. If you want to puchase all three items, I will let the go for $425 ea. plus shiping. Please inform me of your intensions.

I am still in seach of a double rig in 27" length.

Thanks,

Grayson

P.S. Please, no stock cutting.

DV,

I have located the single-sixes in question and I find them to be in good working order. They are "3-screws" from 5 .5" to 6.5" bbl. length. Also, I have a M97, 16Ga. re-blued. I would like to have $500 ea. plus shipping. If you want to puchase all three items, I will let the go for $425 ea. plus shiping. Please inform me of your intensions.

I am still in seach of a double rig in 27" length.

Thanks,

Grayson

P.S. Please, no stock cutting.

Howdy Grayson -

I'm on the fence with single sixes now that i realize the grip sizes aren't any smaller than those on the NM vaqueros. I also just bought a 97 solid frame 12ga off GB and a pard here is selling me a cut down stock (so I wont have to cut the original)... so at this point I'd definitely be interested in the holster rig... keep me posted and I'll do the same. Thx again - DV

Still looking for a double holster rig that would fit guns the size of new model vaqueros (I'm leaning towards starting him with very light 38s) with 4 5/8" barrels. Would prefer something $100 or less... Thx, DV

My linkHere is a rig that a very good cowboy on the wire made for my grandson.He made strong R and L and a Left hand cross draw.410 ga. and 38 in the shotbelt.Thats my grandson.he loves it.The rig fits his 38 lightnings.The K C on the holsters is for Kid Conner,his cowboy name.

My 9 y/o son shoots with us, so I've been down this road before also. After realizing that he probably won't shoot them for a long time, I decided to start him out with Heritage Rough Rider .22's which I picked up new at Academy (local sporting goods store, if you don't have them) for $149 each. They're not the smoothest, but they function just fine.

Next, I bought a Henry .22 at a local pawn shop. In great shape. Total price, $175. We cut the stock to fit him. Gimme a couple of years, and I'll sell it when he moves up. :)

Lastly, he's not strong enough to hold up a double nor work the action on a '97. I found him an H&R Topper, single shot 12 gauge for $75, used. It has a hammer and an ejector (which is legal for single shots and the posse enjoys trying to catch his empties :) ). After cutting the stock down to his 11 1/2" LOP and loppin' off the barrel to 20", it's very short! (but above overall length requirements for sawed off shotguns). I load very light shells for him which he seems to handle fine and they still knock down the targets (although he doesn't have to do so).

Clothes....well, I took a pair of his old jeans, cut off the belt loops and put on buttons for suspenders. I bought him some western shirts on sale at the local western store. He wore an old straw hat of mine (with stuffin' in it) for a while until I coughed up $35 for a wool hat a few months ago.

I don't know if any of this helps, but stories like this helped me when I was trying to outfit him (and his older sister).

Good Luck!

Chick

Pit - very nice rig there!... and good looking pard too! :)

Chick - it definitely helps... trying to research as much as I can before wasting anymore $$ than I have to...

Archived