SASS Wire Forum

F-18 crash

Prayers for the victims on the ground - seems the crew ejected, but may be hospitalized...

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/va_beach/military-plane-crashes-in-virginia-beach

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Wonder if it was the newer F18/F Super Hornet or the older D model. I worked on all of them, they are really reliable aircraft and don't have many crashes.

Just saw it was an older D model. Hasn't been made for over 15 years. Still a good plane.

Wonder if it was the newer F18/F Super Hornet or the older D model. I worked on all of them, they are really reliable aircraft and don't have many crashes.

Just saw it was an older D model. Hasn't been made for over 15 years. Still a good plane.

Even brand-new airplanes are only one catastrophic failure way from the ejection decision. Think I recall that my (then) new F-14A only had a couple of hundred hours on her before I sold her back to the taxpayers.

Latest word is 3 people hospitalized. No life threatening injuries. Unknown if there are any fatalities.

Aircraft had just taken off.

I wish the news media could understand that there is only one pilot on board, not 2.

But of course they don't know the difference between an assault rifle and a shotgun. :wacko:

Latest word is 3 people hospitalized. No life threatening injuries. Unknown if there are any fatalities.

Aircraft had just taken off.

I wish the news media could understand that there is only one pilot on board, not 2.

But of course they don't know the difference between an assault rifle and a shotgun. :wacko:

Thats' why I just used the term 'crew' in my op.

There's only one pilot who flies the aircraft - the other crew member would be the navigator/weapons system operator?...do they have capability to co-pilot in case the pilot has an issue?

Thats' why I just used the term 'crew' in my op.

There's only one pilot who flies the aircraft - the other crew member would be the navigator/weapons system operator?...do they have capability to co-pilot in case the pilot has an issue?

Won't really know until the Navy says more. Coulda been a pilot & NFO or 2 pilots on a training flight/proficiency check.

"...NFOs are not formally trained to pilot the aircraft, although they do train in dual-control aircraft and are given the opportunity to practice basic airmanship techniques. Some current and recently retired naval aircraft with side-by-side seating are also authorized to operate under dual-piloted weather minimums with one pilot and one NFO. However, in the unlikely event that the pilot of a single piloted naval aircraft becomes incapacitated, the crew would likely eject or bail out, if possible, as NFOs are not normally qualified to land the aircraft, esepcially in the carrier-based shipboard environment."

Naval Flight Officers

Saw this morning that no lives were lost in this crash - they are still assessing, but praises to Him for that Good Friday act of mercy!

Years ago when I was working in the shipyard in San Diego a crane lost the boom. CRASH. Just buy luck no one was under it. The safety person asked me later what I thought about the accident. I sed, "Everything that goes up must come down. Some of it comes down quicker."

Two pilots onboard...FRS student pilot in front, Instructor pilot in the rear. No relevance to media discussion on shotgun and assault rifle, I don't think.

Won't really know until the Navy says more. Coulda been a pilot & NFO or 2 pilots on a training flight/proficiency check.

"...NFOs are not formally trained to pilot the aircraft, although they do train in dual-control aircraft and are given the opportunity to practice basic airmanship techniques. Some current and recently retired naval aircraft with side-by-side seating are also authorized to operate under dual-piloted weather minimums with one pilot and one NFO. However, in the unlikely event that the pilot of a single piloted naval aircraft becomes incapacitated, the crew would likely eject or bail out, if possible, as NFOs are not normally qualified to land the aircraft, esepcially in the carrier-based shipboard environment."

Naval Flight Officers

Thanks pard...figger only one feller is flyin' it at one time ;) They both may be qualified, but only one is the pilot at the stick.

Two pilots onboard...FRS student pilot in front, Instructor pilot in the rear. No relevance to media discussion on shotgun and assault rifle, I don't think.

The news heads were reporting on the 2 pilots a long time before it was revealed that in fact a pilot and instructor were aboard. I guess they figure if there's two people in the cockpit they must both be pilots... just like a airliner. I've seen em do the same thing when talking about F14s, F15s, or any two seater. A female reporter finally came on and explained that normally a pilot and a WSO would be in an FA18 and that the eye witness who said one of them was still strapped into his seat when he hit the ground was "mistaken". She was the only one at the network who seemed to know a tailhook from a fishhook.

It just underscores the unfamiliarity of the media with all things military. You'd think they might be a little better after 10 years of warfare but details just aren't important to them I guess.

Except for the property loss, a pretty lucky day all around.

They both may be qualified, but only one is the pilot at the stick.

'

Yep. Things are much better now than they used to be when my dad was a Navy pilot in the '50s - '60s. Back then, dad was flying the Douglas A3D Skywarrior. A new pilot getting a check ride in one was doing touch and gos, messed up, spun in and crashed, killing all aboard. At the time, the aircraft had one set of controls which meant the check pilot/instructor had no ability to override the student. Fortunately for me, dad wasn't the check pilot that day. Unfortunately, we lost a good family friend and other great crew members.

:FlagAm:

My grand & great grand daughter's live in an adjacent complex and saw the crash from their bedroom window. Thank the Lord they are okay. Our prayers go out to all those involved.

Man that was way to close! We have freinds that have a buissness about four blocks away.I believe they sale mountain climbing items,and maybe skiing for cros country style.Eva and J.P De Saint Croix..

DS,

As you know the the A-3 "Whale" also did not have ejection seats if things went to hell in a hand basket at low altitude. The only jet that ever flew on-off carriers with that lack, as I remember.

They did have the bailout "hole/slide" behind the cockpit :P . Amazing cold war aircraft originally designed to deliver nukes.

My hat's off to those who flew them off carriers!

DS,

As you know the the A-3 "Whale" also did not have ejection seats if things went to hell in a hand basket at low altitude. The only jet that ever flew on-off carriers with that lack, as I remember.

They did have the bailout "hole/slide" behind the cockpit :P . Amazing cold war aircraft originally designed to deliver nukes.

My hat's off to those who flew them off carriers!

Yep, dad thought that slide contraption was pretty useless. In his opinion, the crew of that A3D would have survived with ejection seats.

Speaking of ejection seats, are you familiar with this story? Pretty amazing.

Partial ejection from A6

Yep, dad thought that slide contraption was pretty useless. In his opinion, the crew of that A3D would have survived with ejection seats.

Speaking of ejection seats, are you familiar with this story? Pretty amazing.

Partial ejection from A6

DS,

Yep, this one is pretty well known in the community and Keith had God on his side that day (he was actually unhooked from the seat/aircraft and only the air pressue and his parachute canopy hanging up on the tail kept him in).

Can you imagine what ran though his mind sitting up in the 250 knot airstream above the cockpit and canopy, completely pinned and disabled, arms flailing behind you, watching your fate unfold? His injuries were pretty bad, but he fully recovered.

BTW, the pilot, Mike Manazir is now an Admiral and the Commander of Carrier Strike Group 8 out of Norfolk, VA

Regards,

Harvey

Archived