SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 44 MAg

Ace Hanlon

I was wanting to purchase a new one piece firing pin kit for the subject rifle. I see where there are two kits offered with one being One Piece Titanium Firing Pin Kit where as the other is tool steel. Would like to get some pros and cons of the two kits. Which one would be the best for CAS. Thanks

I prefer steel. Just a preference.

I can't prove it from any test but I have been told that the steel 1 piece pins are harder and last longer. I have no direct experience with that.

..........Widder

I prefer steel. Just a preference.

I can't prove it from any test but I have been told that the steel 1 piece pins are harder and last longer. I have no direct experience with that.

..........Widder

Ditto - I think the claim is that the steel pins have some flexibility that makes them not so brittle.

CR

It's kind of a toss up. Titanium has proven itself in 1911s and ARs for reliability and decreasing lock time. But the cost differential to me may not be worth it as I am not at the competitive level where I could see any difference in lock time. That being said, I ordered one of the titanium kits to try in my Marlin anyway. I haven't installed it yet so I have yet to see if there is any difference.

I use the steel and after a couple a thousand rounds you can't tell that it's ever been used.

Steel. Ya want lock time? INCREASE your mainspring pressure. Oh wait, ya want fast cycling, so ya already SLOWED yer lock time by reducing the main spring. Just funnin with ya. STEEL it is for CAS, as lock time is pretty meaningless with a levergun.

Titanium is light, but not as durable and can gall when sliding against the steel channel.

It is one of those "buzz" words that has great benefits in some restricted circumstances, but ends up used to SELL stuff where it don't have any real effect.

Ya know, like mag wheels, or TACTICAL almost anything.

Ace, What I think everyone's telling you is go with the steel. lol

I've been using my .44 Magnum Marlin M1894S since 1997. At about 9,000 rds the rear portion of the firing pin broke, I replaced it and about 1,500 rds later the front portion of the firing pin broke. I replaced it with a 1 piece steel firing pin and its had 3,000-4,000 rds through the gun since. You gotta love the quality of the pre remington Marlins.

Archived