SASS Wire Forum

anyone shoot an SKB 200

Irish Pat

I enjoy several SKB 200s. I, too, suggest to have the auto safety deactivated, chamber mouths flaired, ejectors disabled, and lenthening chambers/forcing cone if needed. I personally have used Briley for some of the work I like such as back boring and the barrels cut (I like 21"). Shotgun smiths such as the mentioned Johnny Meadows and others such as Goatneck, Colt McAllister, Ole #4, Cody Conagher and others can do much, if not all this work, these days... including tubes if you have enough barrel after cut. My preferance again is the back bore, leaving open choke, adjusting with load if need....Briley might be the best for this. I don't use the larger bead mentioned, but would not mind giving it a try, bet Manatee would be good source for those. Sure like them 200/200e's after all spruced up. 100s are not bad themselves but prefer the beavertail forend for my shooting of BP. Some might have even been able to find a 150 at some time which I believe carried the beavertail forend. bb

One mod I really like is a so called hold open mod. On an SKB, this adds a very slight bump which must be overcome to close the action. The bump is so minimal you never feel it while shooting. Where it helps is in staging and handling an open action. For the occasional vertical staging, it keeps SKB from closing. Even keeps gun open when retrieved roughly from horizontal staging. No lever movement necessary like some early hold open mods. Johnny Meadows does this mod.

One mod I really like is a so called hold open mod. On an SKB, this adds a very slight bump which must be overcome to close the action. The bump is so minimal you never feel it while shooting. Where it helps is in staging and handling an open action. For the occasional vertical staging, it keeps SKB from closing. Even keeps gun open when retrieved roughly from horizontal staging. No lever movement necessary like some early hold open mods. Johnny Meadows does this mod.

I recently got a Goatneck Clem tricked out SKB 200 for my daughter and I've been shooting it to check it out. The ONLY complaint I have with the gun is that it closes very easily. In my cart it closes often, sometimes just by looking at it it seems. Can you tell us what is done? Any on line info?

I recently got a Goatneck Clem tricked out SKB 200 for my daughter and I've been shooting it to check it out. The ONLY complaint I have with the gun is that it closes very easily. In my cart it closes often, sometimes just by looking at it it seems. Can you tell us what is done? Any on line info?

I think only a couple of gunsmiths do this mod and I would not give away their secrets. See Johnny Meadows. Another plus is gun doesn't close too easily to/from gun cart.

Archived